Dive Shop Mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarveyO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I noticed in today's newspaper a Waikiki Dive Shop owner was seriously burned when a compressor malfunctioned (blew up). The name of the shop didn't sound familiar. Anyone in the Ohana know anything about this and would be willing to share?

Oh my, We can only hope for a full recovery. Best Wishes for our friends at Waikiki Dive Center.
Aloha
Roger

yea, Alex told me he had 1st degree burns but the paper said he was in serious. It was the owner (Chris?) Anyway, they said the windows to the shop were all blown out. I asked Alex which method they use for Nitrox and he did not know. They say about every five years some shop here has this happen....

I think the compressor started to sound funny and he adjusted something, I read or heard.

Best wishes for a full recovery out there.

I've never heard of or seen this dive shop. Roger, the address indicates Nahua. Have you seen this dive shop? Is it new?

No, not a new shop, been there forever, they have a boat and all. They run daily charters.
I hope Chris gets well soon.
Aloha
roger

Oh crap. That's where I got certified. Waikiki Dive Center on Nahua. Nick and Chris F. are brothers and own the place. They're great and always take care of me when I'm back on the island.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Edit: I just called and spoke to Chris. It was his brother Nick who was in the line of fire of the compressor, but it sounds like he's totally doing OK, but maybe out of commission for a few days.

I re-read the CDNN report and I don't think the article was trying to make it sound worse than it really was. I'm sure the burns were serious, but thankfully that's not the same as "being in serious condition."

Oh man! I'm glad Nick is doing okay but could everyone please give a prayer for Nick. He's a nice guy and I hope his burns heal well.

I did my rescue diver with Nick. I go there 3 times a year. They are nice guys. Hope he recovers soon.

Rod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom