Jack Prodanovich !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Diving pioneer Prodanovich, who 'opened the ocean door,' dies

By Ed Zieralski
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 12, 2008

His time was when the ocean off San Diego was filled with life and thick kelp forests, and no one celebrated those wonders of yesterday's seas with more passion and gusto than Jack Prodanovich, founder, along with Glenn Orr and Ben Stone, of the famous Bottom Scratchers.
It was an invitation-only group of watermen who became the founding fathers of free diving and gained national attention for the sport with their machismo, good sportsmanship and daring adventures. Prodanovich died last Thursday of respiratory failure. He was 94.

In the summer of 2003, in what was a bittersweet celebration, the Bottom Scratchers gathered for their 70th anniversary. Six of the club's remaining living members showed, and Prodanovich received an award from the Diving Equipment and Marketing Association (DEMA) that read: “With little more than homemade masks and bare skin, you were the first to open the ocean door. Thank you for leading us. Congratulations Bottom Scratchers Dive Club.”

Prodanovich had a display of his innovative, two-piece trigger spearguns next to him during that anniversary social. Prodanovich's Bottom Scratcher Speargun was more than six feet long.

“I can't believe what all this came to,” Prodanovich said at the time. “We were just a couple of guys hittin' the drink for fish with a couple of masks and spears. It's just mind-boggling what all this came to.”

Jack's son Robin asks that in lieu of flowers, donations in Jack Prodanovich's name be sent to Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute's white seabass program.

Sam Miller

RIP ...prayers for his loved ones.

c

His buddy, Wally, died six years ago. I believe TOD was also in February. I met those fellows for the first time in 1973. I guess I was a real acolyte or apprentice having reproduced many of their ideas for my own applications. During my first visit with Jack he showed my a Prodanovich tube gun with Alvey snapper reel and wonder of wonders, heavy monofilament shooting line. Now, everybody uses the stuff. Who would'a thunk it. Sorry to hear the news of his death, today and forever.

Back
Top Bottom