Spear Gun (s)--all Time Favorite!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really enjoy my Daryl Wong Hybrid. It's very accurate, quiet, and powerful.

My wife has a Riffe Euro 110 - she loves it.

I don't think anyone could go wrong with either guns.

My all time favorite spear gun is a "Bottom Scratcher." It was designed/developed in 1939 by Wally Potts and perfected by the Bottom Scratcher spear fishing club of San Diego, California. It is the original California long gun, constructed of by the joining of a simple tube SS handle containing a one piece trigger to a 1&1/4 inch dowel barrel, and a long balance bar that was either made of wood or SS.

In the very early days if spear fishing around 1950 Wally sold a Bottom Scratcher gun to Paul Hoss a member of the Dolphins spear fishing club which had won the very first spear fishing meet in Laguna Beach in the Summer of 1950. When he sold it to Paul who lived in a suburb of LA, Jack Prodanovich is reported to have said to Wally that "Selling a gun up north was like selling guns to the Yankees." And he was correct. Paul disassembled the gun did some modifications that improved the trigger pull and began producing a very close copy affectionately became known as the "Hoss gun" by the "Yankees" of Los Angeles and Orange County. The Hoss copy was cosmetically and functionally identical in every respect except for the Sturgil muzzle which was the muzzle of choice for all guns used by serious Yankee spear fishermen. The guns which were made by Wally and Paul were all custom made therefore no two were exactly identical. It was reported substantially less than 100 were made in a 30 plus year period by Wally and some where between 20 and 30 by Paul in about a 10 year period. Needless to say they were difficult to obtain and are now scarce and highly prised by those who own them, or collectors of diving memorabilia.

Known through out the spear fishing fraternity as the "California long gun" and on occasion the "Long Tom," they were made for long shots at big fish in then the clear unpolluted waters of SoCal.

I was fortunate to have ended up with two. My own personal custom gun and a friend's who after being chased out of the water by a shark decided that spear fishing was not for him, so he sold it to me a half what a bare unrigged new one costs -$20.00.

My guns measure 7 foot 9 inches plus the point which can have many configurations and lengths adding as much as a foot if the Prodanovich point impact aka power head was used. It has a sling pull of 4 foot 8 inches and the 5/16 diameter SS arrow rides on the first rails to be installed on a spear gun. It has a balance bar that extends approximately 15 inches behind the trigger mechanism.

It was made during the era of the kettle cured rubber. I can't recall when surgical rubber for spear gun slings became popular but I think in the mid 1950s. I used 28 or less inches of surgical tubing for power when it became popular and readily available. I do vividly recall the first time I test fired it at Ships Rock off Catalina using the then new surgical slings...the arabelete type slide ring exploded totally disintegrated ! The arrow went flying in to the blue water never to be seen again by man--or at least me...so slide rings from aerospace material was custom made. A number of years later Joe La Monica who developed the Voit/ Mares/JBL gun began producing a very strong SS slide ring which I modified and converted my guns to use.

My first and my favorite gun has a custom (aka home made) "San Diego" style "dump pack" constructed from a piece of SS sheet, a SS Piano hinge, several lengths of WW 11 webbing and a SS rod as the release pin. The dump pack contained 200 feet of yellow 1/8 Polypropylene line fan folded into small bunches secured by two pieces of a bicycle inner tube (they won't rot) terminating with a small WW11 water purification bag modified into an automatic Co2 inflation float. It has a 15 inch SS balance bar

Gun number two is equipped with a huge six inch "Riffes Reel," produced and marketed about 30 years ago by a now defunct San Diego company by the name of Aquacraft. The reel holds about a jillione miles of hard lay tuna trolling nylon line. I can not recall how much it holds and I have never been reeled there fore cannot accurately state with any reasonable amount of certainty the amount of line on the Riffe's reel but it is a lot! It originally came equipped with a 15 inch balance bar, which the former owner trimmed to eight inches. I found this too short and extended it to it's original length of 15 inches by the addition of a piece of 1 &1/4 wood dowel.

Do I still use the guns? Heck no, especially when one Bottom Scratcher/Hoss gun sold on E bay several years ago for $2200.00 plus dollars.

I have several custom wood guns I made about 20 or more years ago that I currently use, but another story for another time.

But-- I still have wonderful memories of the Bottom Scratcher and years gone by.

Sam Miller

<<<<Jack Prodanovich passed away yesterday at 94 years of age. He was one of the first members of the "Bottom Scratchers Spear fishing club" founded in 1932. (see anouncement on Scuba board)

Wally Potts passed away several years ago.>>>>

i use a hawaiian sling. i adhere to "the simpler the better" way of thinking.

Many, many moons ago, I had a U.S. Divers Sea Hunter III, it was a mid handle, 4 sling gun that used a stainless steel 3/8" shaft. I shot many a sand & calico bass, halibut, and sheepshead with that gun until the day it was stolen off a dive boat.

I now use a wooden Riffe 54" mid handle that is every bit as accurate as my old Sea Hunter.

Big fan of my RIFFE No Ka Oi, it's deadly accurate, I consistantly make long kills I would not have attempted with my previous guns. It's a good all around gun, as has been stated in this thread, no one gun is good for every situation but this one has come pretty close for me.

Rino has become one of my favorites. Nothing ever enters the water with out me altering something though. Just like any weapon it fits it's operator. JBL Magnum XHD has always dun the job on any given day. Good post as usual sam miller I enjoyed the history lesson.

I also love my Biller 42 and 48 - for wreck and reef. It's the woodie, and I like having the gun float up and out of the way when dealing with the fish. They are not that great for long-shots or bluewater fish, even with the amped up bands (IMHO).

Als Gun
This true story happened to my boss, Al Gage. In 2003, he went on a spearfishing trip aboard the fishing boat, Erik in the Northern Midriff Islands. On the last night traveling back, the Erik got caught in a chubasco storm blowing the Erik over 45deg on its side. Prior to the storm, the passengers fishing and dive gear had been tied down on the top deck, but for some reason, Al untied his speargun bag and then didn't secure it back well enough. At some point during the storm his bag and his Riffe No Ka Oi went overboard. Al said goodbye to his favorite Riffe gun. Replacing his Riffe gun, was one of Al's main reasons for starting Sea of Cortez Diving just to get a Riffe dealership.

But that's not the end of that gun. Two years later, in 2005, a shrimp boat out of San Felipe dragged up the speargun bag over 100 miles south and east of where it went overboard. There was a tiny remant of a tag left on the bag and one of the crew recognized the name as a customer from the Eric. He returned the bag & gun to the owner of Eric who in turn returned it to Al. The bag covered in 2 years of ocean crud was cut open and the gun a little bit worse for the wear got a good cleaning. It still works and now lives happily in the rental fleet of Riffe guns on the Andrea Lynn, the new sister vessel to the Erik, specializing in spearfishing trips in the Northern Sea of Cortez and in Magdelena Bay.

Back
Top Bottom