Well, are there divers left in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband & I did 2 weeks worth of diving with Dive and Sea Maui in 1999 and it was great. We went there to dive and get married, but planned the wedding around the diving! Nine years on Valentine's Day!

I can't wait to get back in the water. It should be up to 40 by now! Just need the foot of ice in the harbor to break up some, the blow up boat isn't so much an ice breaker as the real F/V Wildcard is. Warmed to 8+ today! Still -40 to 70 in the interior. Sounds rough but I get all the best dive sites to myself :)
Wait, wrong forum, where did Alaska go?

Dude it was so warm here that I had to strip off the under armor and just go with fleece today under the dry suit.

I can't wait to get back in the water. It should be up to 40 by now!

Sounds positively toasty! :wink:

Not that I dive a whole lot anyway during the winter months, but I've been nursing a fractured foot. Cut short a dive several weeks ago because of said foot, am hoping that it will be ok to dive this coming weekend.

I'm still with SSI, just no longer teaching at the shop I worked for. Jill quit there a few months ago and it was only a matter of time for me. The Y program is a solid one in my opinion but like anything else it could be screwed up by someone if they really tried. I'll try to behave.

They allow an instructor to teach on his own and order cards direct unlike SSI. I'll remain active with SSI for now, never know how things will work out once I get my butt over there this summer.
That's going to be a huge plus for you over here, Al, as the only SSI shop I know of on Maui is Maui Dive Shop... and if you're thinking of semi-retirement, they're probably not your best option. They advertise looking for instructors that will do 4 dives per day (two each with two groups of people).

I'm not aware of anyone doing the YMCA program over here. Maybe get setup with the Universal Referral program (the YMCA is one of the agencies that is part of that, right?) and carve out your own niche market!

I'm not that motivated Kris. There are actually 2 shops that are ssi but I probably won't work for either. I talked to the MDS in the past and they were fine but their instructors aren't going to get fat on their pay. With either the Y or SSI I can still work boats, lead shore dives, do a little teaching. I can also continue to teach through my old mainland shop if I wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom