First Scuba Trip, What to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife (a non diver) gave us a gift of a trip to Cancun for V-day.

She is even going to let me go diving while we are there :D!

So I am trying to figure what to pack. I want to take my own Regulator / computer setup, knife (I like it because it is small!), and I intend to take my own basic gear.

I have a 3/2 shortie which I was planning on packing, but do I need one? (Used to diving 3/2 full in 65 or more.

My question is, should I bring my BC or rent?
How much is rental in general?
I was planning on contacting MAD, but after 2 e-mails I have not heard anything back.

For extras, I am packing a few blank dvd's to record the pic's to and a pack of lithium batteries.

I am trying to figure out the best way to balance weight and still be prepared, so please give me your suggestions. Is there anything that I should make sure I do not forget to bring. (besides my dan and aow cards)

Thanks

Doghouse, Ben should be getting back to you soon he is usualy very quick in responding make sure you dont have an e-mail address that is gettting blocked or is blocking a responce( I have this problem when I try to receive e-mails from Blue xt-sea on cozumel, stupid comcast).

You wont need the knife as yoou are diving in a marine park( knifes not allowed ). We dove in Cancun in Nov. we had 3/2 mm full suits w/hood but there were people that had shorties. I dive dry at home and have found that since going dry my tolrance for cold in a wetsuit has gone way down. Next trip to Coz. in April will be in a 5/4/3.

We take all diving gear with us you should be able to check 2 bags if you need but for 1 week my wife and I can take 2 sets of gear plus clothes in 2 checked bags and 2 carry-ons. Hope this helps. MAD is a great dive op.

Tom

It differs by individual, but I always take my own gear. I take everything except weights. Ben has good equipment, but I still prefer my own. I take my BP/W, two sets of regs, computers, mask, fins, zip ties (emergency fixer uppers), first aid kit, plus my clothes and shoes. I'm just skating under 50lbs everytime. Biggest problem I have is adjusting my equipment for the AL80's. I dive HP120's here.

I've dove down there in Aug twice and July once and Nov once. It is bearable but the water temp during the summer is around 72-76. On a night dive, you'll be glad you have it.

Ben's been down in Tulum for his girlfriend's birthday. He's back now, and will answer your emails shortly.

If I can answer any other questions, PM me.

Dive safe!

Well the night dive has been ax'ed. SWMBO wants some time together. So I get 2 morning outings.

OK, thanks for the tip, NO KNIFE. I can leave that at home.

Any thought or suggestions about Cancun? We are staying in Quintana Roo at an all inclusive adults only resort.

Here's the list I use to pack for a week in Bonaire. My buddy and I take our own food, so we don't waste time in the Cultimara Grocery Store when we could be underwater. That's why the last part of the list seems like a junk food nightmare. Let me know if you have questions about what some of this stuff might be, or why some items are on the list.

Max
MSDT 198186
Southeastern Divers
Southeastern Divers Home Page
256 536 8404

Travel Items

Passport
Vouchers
Travel Case
Headphones
Airplane Headphone Adapter
Forms

Personal Items

Razor
Tweezers
Fingernail clipper
Toothbrush
Shorts (2)
Underwear (2)
Sleeping Shorts(2)
T-Shirts(8)
Crocs
Hat
Laptop
Compact Flash Adapter
Laptop Power Adapter
Trackball
Sunglasses
Blank DVDs

Dive Items

Dive Log
C-Cards
BCD
Regulator
Mask(2)
Fins
Booties
Shorty Wetsuit (2)
Cobra
D9
Primary Dive Lite
Secondary Dive Lite
Laser Sticks (4)
Tank Banger
Spare Cobra Batteries
Truck Marker Lights
Underwater Paper
Pencil
Wire Cutters
Zip Ties
Anti-fog
Dive Tool
Dive Knife
Bathing Suits (3)
O-Rings
Mesh Bag
Dive Wallet
Hex Wrenches
D9 Elastomer Band
D9 Strap Extender
Instructor Slates
Whistle
Mirror
O-Ring "Tank"
Padlock (2)
Nitrox Analyzer
AOW Slates
Rescue Slates

Food & Disposables

Bread
Snack Bars
Ice Cube Trays
Sports bottles
Beanie Weenies
Ravioli
Chunky Soups
Noodle Cups
Crackers
Peanut butter
Jelly
Lemonade
Fruit Cups
Soft Cooler
Plastic Flatware
Mosquito Spray
C Batteries
Laser Stick Batteries
Mosquito Coil
Shaving Cream
Shampoo
Deodorant
Tooth Flossers
Airplane Books
Soap
Body Glide
Daily Medications
Decongestants
Q-tips
Toothpaste
Toothpicks
SDI T-Shirt
Wooden Matches

Hello doghouse, I´ll recomend to bring bc, reg, shoty ws, mask, snorkel and fins, about tanks and weights, we provide you.
However, if you are planing to dive in any of the wrecks that we have here, I higly recomend bring a full wet suit, that is going to help you to, in case you want to do a cenote dive.
Check my web site alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME I´ve been living in this area for 28 years, teaching and doing scuba diving, and if you want to do a ocean or cenote dive count on me.
Regards.
¡¡¡keep your bubbles up!!!

Back
Top Bottom