Halibut Cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was thinking of taking the wife and kid and some friends to Halibut Cove this summer and renting out a cabin for a few days. We would mostly be BBQing and hiking, but I wouldn't mind getting in some diving. Is it worth doing there? Anyone have any info on diving Halibut Cove?

Cant comment on the cove itself but diving here in Homer is pretty kickass...I overlook HC as well as most of the west side on the bay. Have boat/tanks/ lead, need dive buddies.

Halibut Cove is mud bottom, fairly shallow, some relief and critters but not a lot. A really neat drift dive is the channel between Halibut Cove and Halibut Cove Lagoon, where the current just screams on the exchange. Octopus, every variety/color starfish, nudibranchs, crabs, etc. plus a wild ride at about 6-8 knots on full turn. Tow a surface float and have a boat following you.

Howsabout Halibut Cove Lagoon more specifically? I have heard of some rocky outcroppings and such. Is the lagoon all mud bottom as well? Has anyone done any diving there?

Ive never dove it but Im willing to look at the chart and find a likely looking spot to try it. If it sucks I know a couple of other spots.

A few years back a student of mine, had a home/cabin 1/2 way up the hillside at the far end where the trail is, and I believe a forest service cabin. His plan was to have charters based outa there. Ehhhhh! Bad vis, muddy bottom, nothin' to see ended that idea. Another time we went in after salmon snagging was over with. Tons of fish on the finder, but once down, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Last time I was there

A few years back a student of mine, had a home/cabin 1/2 way up the hillside at the far end where the trail is, and I believe a forest service cabin. His plan was to have charters based outa there. Ehhhhh! Bad vis, muddy bottom, nothin' to see ended that idea. Another time we went in after salmon snagging was over with. Tons of fish on the finder, but once down, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Last time I was there. The channel sounds like a hoot, but is vis good enough to get a look at all the critters you say? What time of year? My favorite spot across the spit is where the light stanchion usta be over by McDonald Spit. There's a small reef there. It's marked on the chart. 10-60' depth. Has to be a calm day with no current, but if you hit it right you'll see critters galour. I've never seen so many different size and color wolf eels, in any other spot. You can circle the reef in one dive, but you'll be pushing it, so take your time and check out the nooks and crannies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom