Scuba Air Bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more vote for buying a compressor. You said you have an LDS that can fill your hypothetical mobile cascade, have they ever said they would do it? I own a dive shop with an average size compressor and a fair size set of cascades. It takes several hours to fill the cascades. While I try to never say no to a customer, if someone came to me wanting to do this I would have to charge a substantial amount to tie up my fill station for that long.

My LDS fills mobile units for the crew that maintains and inspects a refinery locally. They have 2 trailers, so they can leave one to get filled. I've been there helping with the fill. They have to run their compressor to fill their cascades before the trailer get filled, then even starting with a full bank, they switch the compressor on and let it run while they fill the trailer. The guys pay a sizeable chunk for this and they had to have a 75 foot hp hose made to go from the back of the store to the front door which cost a pretty penny too. I think a compressor is the smart idea.

Well, if you put together a fill station using (3) 4500 psi cylinders you will have 1332 cu.ft. of air at 4500 psig.
I will try and find the page that lists what this will supply.
Jim Breslin

why not get a small portable compressor, cause youll need alot of big bottles and a small compreesor is the way to go, i have a portable unit housing at home in the barn with wheels all i have to do is take the comp off and get a small gas motor and away i go.....but just dive tanks is the way to go, then compressor then bank in that order...

FYI
DOT Hazmat does not care what the use is for. With Hazmat items you can't hind behind the "its not commercial" statement.

Once you break 1000 lbs of hazmat material, including the shipping container you will be required to follow hazmat regs.

Talk to a head DOT officer first. Its all fun and games until a lawyer gets involved, CYA.

and that is exactly right, if your crusing down the road with a bunch of k bottles charged to 4500 psi and something ever happens , you better be good at yoga cause your going to have to bend over and kiss your but goodby, cause any good lawyer will have you for lunch...get a compressor, you can pick a good used on for 1500 bucks

I am looking at building a air bank station that can slide into a the back of a pick up or on a trailer. Two to Three of the standard size bank station tanks. Is there some instructions or plans out there that I can use? I want it for diving at remote sites where a place to get fills isn't available. Also how many fills into 80 cubic ft tank can you get of a three bank tank?

After reading this thread and the suggested investments with maintenance and hauling costs have you considered simply buying enough dive cylinders to cover outings of whatever scope you are contemplating? You can always rent (or borrow) cylinders for rare peak outings.

Pete

I am beginning to think that buying a bunch of extra cylinders is the way to go. I just like the idea that I can fill when I want with the cascade and/or compressor. Seems like a huge initial investment, lots to worry about, and tons of continuos maintenance.

Continuous maintenance is a fact of life when it comes to operating a compressor. For the small ones, you have to change a filter about every 40 fills and change the oil about every 60 to 90 fills. Depending on how much you dive, that could be as seldom as once a year or as often as every couple of weeks.

Cylinder maintenance is much easier ... just have to cart them to the shop for fills and get visuals every year. And, hopefully, your shop has tip top quality air.

So, it really is a toss up!

hiya

I am wanting to build a cascade system but dont know where to start, can anyone give me a detailed plan on how to do?
Any help would be great !

Ad

The best how to I have seen is on The Deco Stop web site under compressors.
Here is a link.
Background

This was put together my Denton Byers, he is no longer with us on this earth.
He left us with a great guide to building our own systems.

Jim Breslin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom