Purchasing Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice on how to be cost effective in purchasing some lead. Previously I only used to dive on vacation in warm waters, so I've never owned my own weights before. Recently, however, I've splurged and bought a trilam USIA drysuit (my locale is Puget Sound/Seattle area), and I'm about to buy a pair of LP Steel 98CF tanks so that I can start to seriously dive locally.

My BC is weight integrated, and I'd prefer to dive without a weight belt, but my issue is that I don't know how much weight to buy or even what kind. On dive trips to the Caribbean, I think I've typically used about 15 - 20 lbs. using an Aluminum80 tank, and wearing a shorty, but it's been a long time so I'm not positive.

I was speculating that I will probably need at least 30 lbs of weight, but if I only buy that much, and I need more on my first dive next week, I'm kind of screwed. And I don't want to buy 40 lbs of weight if I only need 32, if ya know what I mean. And also, I have no clue as to what a fair price for weight is.

Can anyone make some suggestions? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

GearHead

I have paid about $2 per pound for the soft weight. Have you had your drysuit class yet? If you are going out with an instructor or divemaster for orientation I would kindly ask him/her to bring some extra weight in case you need it. Where are you diving next week? I've been shedding pounds since I started using my drysuit so I now have at least 15 extra pounds.

Also, it is not such a bad thing to have extra, you may know a buddy that needs a little more one day, and the weight you need will vary with the thermal protection you wear.

-kate

I didn't even think about my dive buddy. I forgot that he has soft weights for his wife who won't be diving with us that day, so he can probably cover for me.

I actually did do a drysuit orientation dive in a pool with my buddy who is a PADI assistant instructor, but I didn't wear my undergarment, so I barely needed any weight (only like 10 lbs).

We were planning on heading up to Edmonds for a couple of morning dives on the 29th. I'd like to go sooner, but I had an accident last week playing softball where I had a line-drive hit me right in the big toe (I pitch so there's very little reaction time, or at least that's my excuse). Anyway, the nail was mostly separated from the toe, and my doctor *gulp* removed the nail on Wednesday (thank the lord for anesthetic). He said that I'll have to wait for the nail-bed to heal and toughen up before I can dive. Was that too much information? Sorry! :wink: I still can't help but cringe when I think about it, and so do most people when they hear about it.

That's great that you've been able to shed so much lead, I'm hoping to do the same. I just really want to get some dives in, and soon! By the way, since you're in the area, what is your favorite local dive shop??

Thanks again,

Rick

Gearhead:

I dive with half my weight on my belt (Bullets and Blocks) and Half in my BC (Lead shot bags). It gives me two advantages. If I have to drop weight, I don't rocket to the surface. It is a lot easier on my back and the back of the poor SOB who trys to lift my belt and BC out of the water for me.

Of course, I dive in very cold water , am a new diver, and am in a 3/2 7mm suit; so I carry alot o'lead (35lbs). I have a high lift BC so I also would rather be heavy than light. It is true that too much weight slows, you down, used more air, and more energy.

Do what works for you especially with the type of diving that you do and feels most comfortable. You might like to check with an instructor who teaches Peak Performance Bouyancy. It helps.

Rick, many dive shops will accept lead that's been in the water once. All you'll have to do is rinse it off and have your receipt handy.

Without more info, it's hard to steer you in the right direction. How much do you weigh, been working out? What type of underwear are you going with underneath the drysuit etc. Believe me, it all makes a difference.

Off the top of my head, I'd say you will probably need to pick up around 34-36lbs of lead and then start doing your buoyancy checks. Once you have it dialed in with an almost empty cylinder, add about 2lbs and you should be fine.

Thanks Mario,

I know the whole weight thing is the most impossible question to answer, and I really appreciate your response. Thanks to you too Ontario, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Have a great weekend everyone, I'll be living vicariously through everyone that's diving!!

-Rick

Don't mention it Rick, that's what makes this place sooo much fun. You get to help others while you learn yourself. :) Let us know how it went eh! :D

Great point and thanks for the warning. Coulda come sooner you know. Oh and by the way I do the same. I use 36 lbs full suit with 24 in the BC and 12 around the waist.

Butch :peace:

Weights are kinda like "gold" not only in weight but sometimes they magically disappear. I have 40lbs, started out with about 30, found some, lost some, found more.

ID

Back
Top Bottom