Full face mask questions??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Im thinking I want to go to a full face for cold water diving. I just started poking around on line looking. A few questions for those in the know:
Is there a FF out there that I can use my normal reg in?
What do you do about a second reg when diving FF?
Ant thoughts on how much this will help with very cold water?
Thanks in advance!

Im thinking I want to go to a full face for cold water diving. I just started poking around on line looking. A few questions for those in the know:
Is there a FF out there that I can use my normal reg in?
What do you do about a second reg when diving FF?
Ant thoughts on how much this will help with very cold water?
Thanks in advance!

Hi WC, I think Scubapro sells a FFM that you can put your reg on after you remove the mouthpiece. Might be on their website? When we use FFM (AGA Divator) we carry a spare mask in our drysuit pocket and a 19cf pony bottle with reg. If we have to ditch the FFM we grab the pony reg, ditch the mask, put the pony reg in our yap, get the back-up mask out of our drysuit pocket, put that on, clear it, then head on up. Of course you would want to practice that in a pool several times:D
A FFM will help with very cold water, the only thing I notice when I use my AGA is that I tend to go through a tank a bit quicker (it's a demand reg not a positive pressure) anyway...hope this helps.

A Fellow Alaskan-Poog:coffee:

Good info, thanks. I'll look at the SP.

Looked at teh SP and this Cressi. No onbe including Cressi describes it at all. It almost looks like it uses a mouthpiece inside the mask? Simple, basic, nothing to break or go wrong, I like that, butttt? Anyone ever see one of these?
DIVING » Maschere » Full Face Mask
It's 1/3 the price of the SP which I like very much too. Hummm? Feedback?

The Cressi, or any knock off like it, are not really worth the trouble. (Been there done that) There is no oral nasal pocket and the CO2 buildup is a real problem. Breathing gets hard real fast due to build up. There is not enough room to replace the mouthpiece on the inside so you can breath like a normal second stage. I haven't ever seen anyone actually use a scubapro. The Kirby Morgan EXO 26 is ok (I work with one sometimes doing light stuff) but I think it would be bulky for recreational diving. The M-26 seems a little less bulky. The aga's and interspiro seem to be liked by many who are determined to have one. I have personally found a good hood and suit with a regular mask has served me well. I did an hour in 42 degree water in Maine in 1998 (2 pc. 5 mil wetsuit and a SP steamer, 7 mil hood and 5 mil gloves and boots) and was just getting a chill when I finished the dive. My face was fine as little was exposed with a good hood. I am fortunate that I don't get cold easily, though I now own a drysuit or two. The FFM benefits usually don't match the trouble or risk in using them in my experiance, except for working where I need comms. If protection from contaminated water is a reason for this mask, none of these are any good. You need a full helmet (Superlite, Miller, Desco, etc) and maybe even one that is specially made to completely isolate you from the water. But, that has been my experience, others may be able to offer something more.

In addition to the M-48 with ScubaPod (which provides for a bite mouthpiece inside the FFM to eliminate any additional CO2 buildup, there is the Mantis mask shown here that allows for your own 2nd stage to be used; however, there is no room for a bite mouthpiece but the cavity inside the mask is very small (its not an oral nasal pocket).

Thanks guys!

There is also the Poseidon Atmosphere (EQUIPMENT). Although it doesn't meet your requirments as the second stage is mounted onto the mask, I read about its performance in cold water and was impressed. It comes with the Poseidon Jetstream Second Stage, but I am pretty sure you could get it without the First stage. The Jetsream doesn't require an intermediary pressure quite as high as the Cyklon, so I think you may be able to attach it to high end 1st stages from other manufacturer (but you would have to check first). Jetstream intermediate pressure requirement 9.5Bar/138psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom