Picky requirements for nitrox computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJules

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a friend for a computer meeting these requirements:

* Nitrox
* Air Integrated
* Turns on automatically when entering water

I did some looking but couldn't determine whether any of the air-integrated nitrox computers out there had automatic activation like my air computer does. Sooner or later, I'll forget to manually turn it on, or I'll turn it on on the boat trip out and then will be delayed so it cycles off...

Thanks for any ideas!

Julie

The Suunto line (Vyper, Cobra, Stinger, and Mosquito) are some that you should investigate....

All have the features that you listed. Stinger and Mozzy double up as everyday watches, and the Cobra is an air integrated system (shows you tank data, and can take air consumption into account for its calculations).

Also, Rodales recently did an overview of about 18 different wrist mounted computers. So you might look there for more infomation on which ones meet your criteria.

I prefer and dive with the Cobra, which does everything you are looking for. Or more accurately, everything you SAID you were looking for... :tease:

Originally posted by JustJules
Looking for recommendations for a friend for a computer meeting these requirements:

* Nitrox
* Air Integrated
* Turns on automatically when entering water

I did some looking but couldn't determine whether any of the air-integrated nitrox computers out there had automatic activation like my air computer does. Sooner or later, I'll forget to manually turn it on, or I'll turn it on on the boat trip out and then will be delayed so it cycles off...

Thanks for any ideas!

Julie

The Air X or Air Z Nitrox by Uwatec does all three. With any air integrated computer you should turn it on and check how much air you have before you jump in.

/Mike

With any air integrated computer you should turn it on and check how much air you have before you jump in.
[/B]

I always do check both to see if the computer starts up properly and also to check the tank pressure. But I have had delays after checking and before my dive in which my computer cycled off. So I need something foolproof... or at least Julie-proof!

Julie

Howdy Julie

My Aeris 500AI has been "fish proof" so far, has a larger display than the Cobra and once you turn it on will stay on for two hours unless no buttons are touched, once on will start recording your dive once you past past 4 feet and end your dive at the same 4 feet.

here is the link http://www.diveaeris.com/Product.cfm?PL=comp&SL=500AI

I just double checked the link and it works,

one comment that I've found is the time to fly count down is a basic 24 hour.

I have both a Stinger and a Cobra. Since I have bought the Cobra I almost don't look at the Stinger. The Cobra is great, has all the Stinger functions and more air integrated. I recently bought the PC interface and it works very well.
In what concerns Nitrox functions, both work fine.

Sue

Sue...

Can you e-mail (or post) some of the output from the Cobra's computer program? I'm very interested to see if displays the information that I'd want to see for my dive history.

My Genesis ReACT is a good computer, but I'm starting to lust after one of the Sunnto's.

(Though what I would really like to do is to take the different features that I like from the different computers and design my own functionality and display. But like our Cable TV systems, that opportunity ain't gonna happen anytime soon.)

Julie,
Given the three criteria you've outlined, the Aeris and Stinger do not qualify. Your best best would either be the Cobra or the Uwatec Aladin Air X Nitrox unit. The choice you will need to make is whether you want something thats hosed or hoseless.

Enjoy,

TMike

I'm not able to send you the output by mail, but if you wanna check it, you can download the dive manager software from suunto's site www.suunto.com and run it.
If you want I can send you my logbook my mail, so you can test it with the software.

Cheers

Sue

Back
Top Bottom