Mares Proton Mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosbif71

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a Mares MR12 Proton Metal as my first Regulator (with Mares Rebel Octopus). Only started diving in October.

Am happy with the performance and like the reduced dry-mouth with that regulator. BUT why do they sell it with such a useless moutpiece?

its so soft that everytime I turn my head it takes a real effort to keep it in my mouth. Have done 4 dives with it but think I will have to change the mouthpiece befor my next one.

Hi Bif,
mouthpieces are a very personal thing. My girlfriend hated her Mares Mouthpiece. I personally found it fine, until I tried a Seacure II moldable mouthpiece. if you're not happy with yours, I suggest you give this a try. It's cheap (around 25$) and makes a world of difference in comfort. You can get them at most dive shops or online at places like Scubatoys.com. It's quite easy to install and the difference is amazing.

I guess manufacturers don't make these standard on their regs because a lot of it depends on personal preference and it would drive up the price. Kinda like high en Bicycles; they come without the pedals because 99% of the customers will be switching pedals anyways to use their own personal favorite!

Give the Seacure II a try! It's well worth it.:coffee:

Hi Bif,
mouthpieces are a very personal thing. My girlfriend hated her Mares Mouthpiece. I personally found it fine, until I tried a Seacure II moldable mouthpiece. if you're not happy with yours, I suggest you give this a try. It's cheap (around 25$) and makes a world of difference in comfort. You can get them at most dive shops or online at places like Scubatoys.com. It's quite easy to install and the difference is amazing.

I guess manufacturers don't make these standard on their regs because a lot of it depends on personal preference and it would drive up the price. Kinda like high en Bicycles; they come without the pedals because 99% of the customers will be switching pedals anyways to use their own personal favorite!

Give the Seacure II a try! It's well worth it.:coffee:

Ive been trying to find one of these over here but none of the local dive shops seem to stock them.

Hey Bif,
have been using the Mares Jax on my Proton 42 reg, which is easy as pie to set up, and believe me, you don't even feel it in your mouth. Once it's in it locks, and without any mouth pressure whatsoever, it will not budge, not even a bit. You can turn your head around to your hearts desire, and there's no sensation that it wants to pull out of your mouth. Only downside is, it becomes COMPLETELY personalized, and you cant give your reg to anyone else, not even for a test swap underwater. So make sure you leave your octopus with the regular mouthpiece.
Happy new year
1011ster

Ive been trying to find one of these over here but none of the local dive shops seem to stock them.

Bif, where exactly are you? Scubatoys will ship pretty much anywhere. Or if in europe, order yourself the Mares JAX (not available un America) from a Mares dealer.

Believe me, you NEED one of these!:D

Try divesports.com or Divers Direct. The seacure is the only mouthpiece I use on my MARES regulators (or my SCUBAPRO's either).

I guess manufacturers don't make these standard on their regs because a lot of it depends on personal preference and it would drive up the price. Kinda like high en Bicycles; they come without the pedals because 99% of the customers will be switching pedals anyways to use their own personal favorite! Give the Seacure II a try! It's well worth it.:coffee:

SeaCure has patent protection on that style of mouth piece. That's probably the reason why MARES didn't even attempt to market their version here in the states. So, to some extent, these manufacturers are limited to the traditional style of mouthpiece.

Not really Rob. If they really wanted to, they could spec them on their regs. Obviously, this would mean buying them from Seacure and would either drive up the price of the REG for the consumer, or reduce the profit marging for the manufacturer... I'm sure seacure would be happy selling 5000 units to scubapro, mares, or any other manufacturer. But of course, Mares having ab very similar product (the Jax) it would kinda be a nonsense to be buying Seacure mouthpieces to put on their regs.

I wonder if the Jax came pre-assembled onto the 2nd stage, if it would still be infringing on the patent protection, or would it be considered as part of the whole Reg and evade that?

Where's a lawyer when you need one???:rofl3::rofl3:

Happy New year!

SeaCure has patent protection on that style of mouth piece. That's probably the reason why MARES didn't even attempt to market their version here in the states. So, to some extent, these manufacturers are limited to the traditional style of mouthpiece.

Hi, I figured it best to bump this thread, rather than start a new one........
When I first got my proton metal 42, the first thing I noticed was the 'flimsy' mouthpiece, luckily I also noticed a small hole near the tie wrap (it was bought used!).........so I figured I'd give a Jax a go.........best decision I could have made, 'coz on my maiden dive with the regs, I wasn't in any way distracted by the Jax. I've dived with 'flimsy' mouthpieces before, and I agree that you are always fighting to keep the reg in your mouth......no such problem with the Jax, in fact you don't even think about it, it's that comfortable. But it is royal PITA to fit, a problem I soon sorted with hot water...
A definite thumbs up!:thumb: Yeah, I second the statement that you really do NEED one of these on your regs....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom