Finally the media is paying attention!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, this is something we've been trying to communicate with the general public for quite some time now. It is amazing the amount of resistance we have found.

I wrote a series of articles last year (the last installment can be found HERE) implicating the subject, but now that the NY Times is tackling the case, many more people are paying attention and having their bubbles busted.

Their article summarizes how people have been misled into something that's not, and how it is still rampant.

I came accross it when several of my clients mentioned it to me and thought they may have been plagiarizing my articles. I believe it is not so, and the writer and I have just found some common ground.

Anyway, click HERE to read the NY Times article, and if you are curious, you can also read the last installment of my article (which I wrote last year) HERE.

Glad the subject is finally seeing the light! Enjoy!

If I don't feel like clicking links, what was it about?

I didn't feel like clicking either...but I did it for the benefit of other people like us. The title is, "Putting Very Little Weight in Calorie Counting Methods." Doesn't appear to be diving related.

I didn't feel like clicking either...but I did it for the benefit of other people like us. The title is, "Putting Very Little Weight in Calorie Counting Methods." Doesn't appear to be diving related.

Fitness Related, not diving related. You know how much people rely on guessing and flawed displays to overinflate their calorie output during exercise? That is the main topic...

What did you think it was? An adult website?:D

Happy Holidays!

No I didn't think it was anything nefarious...but most people would rather know what something is BEFORE they click on it. If they're actually interested they can then click on it for more information. I thought this forum was about fitness related to diving...i.e. "dive into fitness" I think this thread belongs in the "non diving related" area.

It is dive related fitness. All fitness is dive related.

Thanks Coach.

We lost some good stuff in the big board crash.

TwoBit

It is dive related fitness. All fitness is dive related.

Thanks Coach.

We lost some good stuff in the big board crash.

TwoBit

Two bit, You are SO right on the money! One of the problems with the industry is that they have all been sold in this functional training fallacy without understanding what "functional" actually means. For most people, anything that resembles whatever physical acitivty they do is supposed to be "functional". That is not functional, that is "mimicking", a far cry from it.

Any benefits that you derive from proper training, as long as you respect the integrity and rules of your body, will transfer to your physical activity.

Being that scuba diving is an activity of low physical demands in its environment (underwater), the biggest challenge comes when transferring to and from terra firma.

In such case, any program that improves your strength, flexibility, balance, power and endurance will be more than appropriate.

Twobit, I'm working on the website to have the previous articles posted in the archives. All my contributions should be posted there by mid-january 2008.

I hope this clears any doubts, and if you have any questions, please fire away.

Good health and enjoy the holiday!

If I don't feel like clicking links, what was it about?

If clicking a link is too grueling an effort, you should probably just stay out of the fitness forum.:D

Just as a note, randomly clicking on URL's can be dangerous to the system you are on. There can be viruses imbedded in images etc...

So the clicking may not en heavy lifting, but the virus clean up can make you break a sweat.

Nice info (as usual), Coach! Thanks!

I loved the Stanford reference. I took a look at the stair climbers after I read the article. Everyone was resting their arms. I told my trainer about the research... he too, was surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom