Diving Featured on Coast to Coast Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW, that is a nice shot of you in the ice cave! Jill, can you tell us a little more about the project?

What kind of life did you see down there?

What kind of RB's did you use and how were they modified?

Jill, glad to see you here on SB! I've visited your website and was just thrilled with the photography there. In fact, it's one of the sites I use when I want to show non-diving friends how fantastic cave diving is.

Very "cool" picture on their web page... probably too cool even for this cold water diver. Brrrr! Welcome to the ScubaBoard community. I'm sure you will be a fantastic contributor here as well.

Thanks for all the "warm" responses. I'll hit a few of the most popular questions...
Our trip to Antarctica utilized Cis-Lunar Mk-5P rebreathers. We used full face masks for a couple of dives but were much happier without them, even in the 28 degree water. I don't think the dives we attempted could have been successful using open circuit technology. At the time, the National Science Foundation would not allow the use of rebreathers under American permits, and because of my insistence to use rebreathers, we traveled under the New Zealand flag.
Our longest dives were up to three hours including decompression and a maximum depth of 130 feet. We found a few iceberg caves that allowed access through and below grounded bergs. Tunnels under the grounded bergs fostered the perfect climate for filter feeders - sponges, tunicates and amazing crustaceans. On one dive we saw thousands of mating pairs of spider/cockroach-like critters crawling all over the floor, walls and in the water water column.
We made a film "Ice Island" that shares some of the details of our dives. If you see it, you'll understand why I say this was the closest to death I have ever come.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Didn't get to see your picutres when I followed your link. Can you post them at a photo share site?

Hi hello welcome:coolsnow:

Tunnels under the grounded bergs fostered the perfect climate for filter feeders - sponges, tunicates and amazing crustaceans.

Interesting. I wouldn't expect there to be enough water movement there (under the bergs) to bring food to filter feeders. Guess I'll just have to go see for myself! One of my Harvard professors dove there during the IGY in 1957... he dove wet but looked like the Pillsbury dough boy!

Very nice shot, congrats!

Looks like they could use some website modernizing though...

Mario

Sounds interesting- I wasn't able to access- can somebody post a link to the website - thanks Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom