Florida's Ten Worst Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh heck - I guess I can name ONE bad dive site in Florida. I hate to admit it but I think that bugman will agree even though it's free.

The sinkhole next to Sally's Restaurant....

It's not the clarity, or the lack of something to see, or the depth. It's those doggone leaches! God I hate leaches!

As for Vortex - you can say what you want but it is a wonderful training facility. Grass to the waterline instead of sand, bathrooms that flush, showers, steps in and out of the water, fish that love viennas. It's a great place.

If you notice there are two holes at Vortex - the spring and that other thing. The other thing was dug years ago in hopes of something to be determined. Connie had me dive in the other thing once to recover a fire hose. Knee deep mud, zero visibility, bathtub hot, coarse sand in the middle that filled back in as fast as I could dig. A challenge and man I loved it!!

Hahaha... Sounds like an interesting dive! :D My problem is, I've dived Vortex so many times, I can close my eyes and see every single object and feature in there, from the dock and stairs to the cavern, and everything in between. "Familiarity breeds contempt." But yes, the facilities are the best, bar none. (no pun intended) :)

While the copenhagen ............ there is nothing left but an anchor and a few plates of steel - boring.

You missed the wreck. There's quite a bit of it left, much more than a few plates of steel.

I hate to admit it but I think that bugman will agree even though it's free.

The sinkhole next to Sally's Restaurant....

It's not the clarity, or the lack of something to see, or the depth. It's those doggone leaches! God I hate leaches!

Bwahaha! Not only the leaches, but I hate having to burn contaminated gear after use! :eyebrow:

Bwahaha! Not only the leaches, but I hate having to burn contaminated gear after use! :eyebrow:

Has somebody dive Sally's Cesspool without me?!:11:

The worse dive I have ever done here in Florida is Lake Tulane in Avon Park. Lake Denton isn't a good dive site, but a good training venue. We do all our rescue classes there. :palmtree: Bob

Wreck of the Regina (Sugar Barge) - While far from one of the best sites, it's still very interesting (and much larger than any automobile) and has lots of life.

Walter, have you dove there since the hurricanes a few years back? There was very little left when I was there. Some people said the hurricanes destroyed it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom