Florida's Ten Worst Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look where those posts are coming from... nothing wrong with salt water(or fresh, which is my point), but the people who list Ginnie are not exactly looking for freshwater dives. They simply want the salt.

That and I can see how the overwhelming crowds can turn someone off of Ginnie, which leads one to be there when its not peak season(quite enjoyable).

Lake Underhill

You actually dove lake underhill? :11: You are a brave man. I can't stand to even go bass fishing there because of all the jet skis and tubers. I am amazed you lasted 5 minutes without getting killed.

Lake Underhill was my FIRST OW dive back in 1969. I had Jet Fins and a SP mask, with my tank tied to my back. There are two springs in that lake and we went to find one. I came back with a fishing pole and a bowling ball. :D I haven't been back since about 1975. It got REALLY dirty with the construction of the East West. :D

I would not guess that at all. You included Qualman tugs and Copenhagen on your list of worst dive sites. While neither would make my list of top wreck sites, they are interesting wrecks. I suspect you are not really a wreck fan, but a fan of specific types of wrecks - big and not broken up?
Not at all - the Jim Atria, United Carribean, Rodeo 25 and Mercedes had made my top 15 - all of those are very broken up. The Mercedes is close to a pile of wreckage.

Qualman tugs are simply a collection of small hulls - no interesting features and no real life that I've ever seen there. While the copenhagen is an archeological preserve - it's history is fairly boring, aside from the fact that George Bush Sr used it as target practice - there is nothing left but an anchor and a few plates of steel - boring.

I agree with the post before me, Jacksonville to Vero beach is crap, don't waste your time. Haha, I'd rather people believe that then have it overcrowded like south florida is. I don't know how someone can say that when we have have more big critters than anywhere in the state. Sure south florida can be nice, but as far as marine life goes, theres no comparison to North Florida. Winter diving like now brings in some big sand tiger sharks, they're a lot of fun when you're spearfishing, they can get really curious!
But thats fine, I'd like to keep North Florida an exclusive dive club rather than have hundreds of cattle boats crowd the dive sites of south florida.

Sorry, just thought I'd stir the pot a bit:D

Hudson Grotto.
Well... It can be exciting in the right situation... (or, scary... you decide...)... If you lose your son who is going through his advanced course... it can be exciting and terrifying at the same time!!!!

LOL, yeah, I can relate to the exciting part. I can recall a time many dives and much experience ago when I felt scared for the first time underwater.

Actually, I am looking forward to going back there one day to see if it still is as intimidating of a dive as it was back then.

Lake Underhill was my FIRST OW dive back in 1969. I had Jet Fins and a SP mask, with my tank tied to my back. There are two springs in that lake and we went to find one. I came back with a fishing pole and a bowling ball. :D I haven't been back since about 1975. It got REALLY dirty with the construction of the East West. :D

Well, if you take the notion to go back to it, the water is actually very clear again thanks to amazing amounts of hydrilla. There's lots of places where walls of hydrilla drop off into areas just deep enough where it can't grow (seems to be about 20'+). Might be cool, but dangerous. There's also lots of this weed which grows long, thin, and strong. Perfect to tangle you up!

The springs are cute and such, and if it weren't for my wearing a Speedo in Ginnie Springs, it would have been another dull fresh water rock hole. Hanging the grate right in the flow was my entertainment for the first dive.. the next dive we had other fellas strip to swimsuits and speedos in there with me... which is why Ginnie is probably other peoples worst dive now... 6 large men scantly clad but in Bioprene floating around a rock hole with swimsuits. I can't say its a worst dive because it was with great SB friends, but choices of there over other places, it ranks near the bottom as choice locations. :D

Key Largo isn't a worst but over rated dive. I'm glad I got to spend time with friends there and dive a few other places that normally aren't put on by boats, but for the 'hype' and drive, its a novelty.

Deerfield is well... shore dive wasn't thrilling. The pier when it was closed was cool thought :)

Well... It can be exciting in the right situation... (or, scary... you decide...)... If you lose your son who is going through his advanced course... it can be exciting and terrifying at the same time!!!!
I can say without any reservation, that your son never had the look of terror on his face! :D Cool, calm and relaxed and he never left the line. He's a GREAT buddy. :D Of course, there are rumors afloat, that once upon a time the dad couldn't even find the right DIVE BOAT in Key Largo. NO WONDER he lost the other buddy pair! :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom