What regs do you use for tech diving and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use SP Mk25/g250hp for primary and deco/stage and SP Mk25/R190 for my backup reg.

Rational: Proven regulators, great hose routing for both backgas and as a deco/stage. If I was having a really bad day, I could swap a stage reg onto a deco bottle due to the piston design. The g250hp's can be adjusted to reduce free flow possibility (useful when then reg is parked). The R190 breathes just fine when paired with the mk25, and its even better with He in the mix. It has few working parts, so reliability is hypothetically increased, which is good for a backup. The face plate can be removed if needed to clear crap out of the reg. Also, most (if not all) of my buddies use the same regs (or permutations of them, like the s600 or the Mk20). Scubapro dealers are world wide, making repair easy.

Caveat: I don't dive in cold water, and I cannot comment on their performance in freezing conditions. All I know is hearsay with no direct experience to back it up.

I use SP Mk25/g250hp for primary and deco/stage and SP Mk25/R190 for my backup reg.

Rational: Proven regulators, great hose routing for both backgas and as a deco/stage. If I was having a really bad day, I could swap a stage reg onto a deco bottle due to the piston design. The g250hp's can be adjusted to reduce free flow possibility (useful when then reg is parked). The R190 breathes just fine when paired with the mk25, and its even better with He in the mix. It has few working parts, so reliability is hypothetically increased, which is good for a backup. The face plate can be removed if needed to clear crap out of the reg. Also, most (if not all) of my buddies use the same regs (or permutations of them, like the s600 or the Mk20). Scubapro dealers are world wide, making repair easy.

Out of curiosity, if you have Mk25/g250hp on your right post and your deco bottles, and the R190 on your left post, why not put the R190 on the deco bottle and have a matched set for your doubles?

Jim

scubapro Mk20/25 and G250 on all three regs.

So do you have any recommendation for any particular brands that offer better porting and hose routing?

Pretty much the ones already mentioned.

I'm old school and like the Apeks DS4. Tried and true... a long time standard in the tech world.

The SP and Atomics are hard to beat. More expensive than the DS4, but with a LP port on the bottom, are very versatile for routing.

Legends, Micras for primaries & stages. Calypso O2 for deco.
Legends & Micras are both great breathers deep; all are bulletproof & reliable and easy to work on.
I don't do any extreme cold water (coldest about 45F) so don't have the cold water kits on any of 'em.
Rick

Out of curiosity, if you have Mk25/g250hp on your right post and your deco bottles, and the R190 on your left post, why not put the R190 on the deco bottle and have a matched set for your doubles?

Jim

Well, a few reasons.

My backup reg NEEDS to work. R190 is a simple reg, and simple = reliable in this application.

On deeper dives, I spend as much time on my deco gas as I do on my backgas (usually more). A nice breathing reg makes deco more comfy, and the g250 has the ability to be tightened down so it doesn't free flow and drop the gas out of the reg if I leave it somewhere in the cave.

I hope this answers your Q.

I have 4 Scubapro DIN MK17's, 1 yoke MK17, and 1 yoke mk25. I leave the yoke mk17 for my ice diving with the AGA mask and the mk25 is a warm water reg/backup reg/lend out to someone reg. The DIN mk17's serve as my doubles regs and my deco/stage/pony regs. I have Scubapro S600's all around (5-6 total I think) and I keep an R190 for a spare. Of course the Divator MKII is my second stage for the AGA mask.

I started with mk25's for doubles but personally didn't care for their hose routing in comparison to the mk17's and the mk17's are super for the stage regs.

That answers my question perfectly.

Thanks

I'm just now putting together my kit for adv. nitrox/deco procedures. Primary: Aqua Lung Legend LX, Secondary: Salvo SR3/SRX, Deco: Oceanic CDX-5/GT3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom