Are you a Good Driver? Careful Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonderful essay and very generous of you to share the experience.

One of the hardest things I've done so far was to call a dive on a chartered boat, which meant I was paying for the charter without diving, and also caused my three companions (all members of the same class) to abort as well, and absorb the financial loss. I've second-guessed myself on that one before, but it almost certainly was the right decision. But it's harder sometimes NOT to dive, than to go ahead.

I agree with Lynn. Thanks for sharing. I think its even better coming from an instructor.

well written story! thanks for the link! :)

Nice story.

We have a local beach (Carmel, California) named Monastery that, on a good day, is a beautiful, easy dive suitable for open water classes. On a bad day, it's deadly and has claimed more than a few lives. It's well known for its nasty breaking waves less than 20 yards off shore.

It does teach you humility when it comes to being macho or having a cavalier attitude towards beach diving. Walking away while observing the power of the ocean counts towards your "experience," too.

Cool story, But of course, everyone needs to test their limits once or twice. All the lucky divers survive.

Learning to judge surf conditions and to be able to make safe decisions as to what is divable only comes with experience. Making subjective decisions about surf entries and safe shore entries (and more importantly exits) from rocks often seems to take local knowledge and lots of experience that just can't be gained by reading a book.

With regard to this specific dive, how in the world did the two divers expect to maintain the buddy system while moving through the surf zone and out 100 yards? I would assume the underwater visibility would be very poor (even if it is clear the white bubbles and foam make visibility poor). Do you just "go for it"- everybody on their own and then meet up outside the break?

With regard to this specific dive, how in the world did the two divers expect to maintain the buddy system while moving through the surf zone and out 100 yards? I would assume the underwater visibility would be very poor (even if it is clear the white bubbles and foam make visibility poor). Do you just "go for it"- everybody on their own and then meet up outside the break?

Yes. Meet outside the surf zone. Look around occasionally to see if your buddy is hangin with you.

Two rules. NEVER let the reg out of your mouth, and don't stop kicking until you're outside the surf zone. :wink:

And clip off anything that you can't afford to lose.

Good you called the dive. Sometimes the ocean is just telling you to stay on the beach. I had a similar experience surfing off Secret Beach on Kauai. A friend and I didn't check the surf forcast, we just went down and started trying to paddle out. The waves weren't that big but seemed unusually close together. And there was a nasty backwash about 2 feet high also. After 15 minutes of paddling and getting nowhere we agreed to go back to the beach. Within 30 minutes the surf went from 3-5 feet to 18 to 20 feet. It's a good thing we DIDN'T get out that day.

The "It's ok to abort a dive" is the hardest thing to train into new students but for me it's one of the most important. Stories like these show them that some dives were meant to be aborted and it happens to everyone. The only thing that really varies is where you are in your dive career when that first tough abort decision comes up. No matter if it's your first dive with your freshly minted OW card or your 5000th dive you need to know your limits and respect them when Murphy joins you on a dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom