Heading to Paradise Island Bahamas. Anybody have a clue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

co2headache

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Apparently they have a 600 foot wall off of this island but I have no idea what to expect. Wondering if any of you know the some good sites to dive on the island that are more on the advanced side. Stuart's Cove apparently is the shop the runs the show from where I'm staying. (Cove Atlantis)
No offense to any of the newer divers but a lot of times I end up paying for a two tanker and end up on some really intermediate dives that really aren't much in the way of thrilling.
Any suggestions you guys have on "must dive spots" that I could ask for by name out there would be great.
Thanks much gentlemen and ladies.
The shark dive looks fairly interesting also, maybe I'll take a day and see what's going on with that.
Cheers.
an_2drinks.gif

Headache.

Here is one of my early underwater videos at

James Bond Nassau

I stayed next door at the Riu and used Stuart Cove. If you are a James Bond movie fan, I hope you get to do the James Bond Dive. They left the underwater sets from Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. From Thunderball, the RAF Vulcan Bomber is there, but time and sea water has eaten away the outer hull. It's been down there since the 60s. The other one is the Tears of Allah wreck that Bond swims through to escape the sharks.

Even earlier in my underwater videography is the Rock Wall Dive

Nassau Rock Wall Dive 2005

Enjoy your trip. Lucky you.

Good shark feeding at runway"
thats where i went a few years back
as for operators, they are all for the most part, willing to go the extra mile to keep you
happy with many sites to dive. depending on you dive ability and cert level.
Have a fun time
R.H.

call Dive,Dive,Dive...........dove with them long ago('88??? maybe) but I think they're still around...........was a good operation then,....now????..........good luck, very good shallow diving there---ie elk horn & stag horn coral etc......

call Dive,Dive,Dive...........dove with them long ago('88??? maybe) but I think they're still around....
Sorry they're not. They went out of business about 2-3 years ago. As has every other dive operation except Stuart Coves, Bahama Divers and a new divers motel - Landshark Divers - they boat dive with SC also.

OP,

I think you'll find that Stuart Cove's is going to shuttle you down to their south west location as there's no diving done directly off Paradise Island - at least that I'm aware of. Except maybe at the AI resort. More info here: Bahamas Diving Association

There's also a private charter - Custom Aquatics: Bahamas Diving - Custom Dive Charters in Exuma and Nassau Bahamas

Other posts about diving there are in the Bahamas forum.

I've also seen a recent reply to a post by someone who works for Stuart Cove. If I see it again I'll PM their username.

I've been there twice and used Stuart Cove both times. The first time was OK, the second was great. Met Stuart both times, he is a very down to earth guy. I will be there again on January 15 and am looking forward to it.

Have fun,

Duane

i just dove Stuart Cove's 2 weeks ago.. and it was phenomenal... but then again, i'm a new diver. Went out on the James Bond dive, and did the shark dive.... loved it.. and would highly recommend to anyone. Also hit up the tongue of the ocean and went down to about 80'... that was kewl...

I've lived here for about two years now. There's only two operators of any note. Stuart's Cove or Bahama Divers. Unless you go for a live aboard.
New Providence is an island roughly 27 miles east west by 7 miles north/south and has Nassau, the Capital city on it (Pretty much IS it). Paradise Island is a thin strip of land of the north coast at the eastern end. It joins NP by two bridges that run over the harbor. (very pretty!). The "drop off" or wall runs east west just off the north coast out side (north) of PI, then to the west of NP it turns almost due south. Bahama Divers is situated to the north east and serves that side for diving. It's got lots of reefs and a blue hole which is impressive if you get out there early, before live aboard divers kick up silt. (i think it's an extra $20 to dive the Blue Hole) In my experience the diving is shallower with BD's.

Stuart Coves is situated to the south west of NP, has deeper diving in general and is generally slightly more expensive. Unless you're on a budget Stuart's is your first choice. It's perfectly set.
(The series "flipper" was filmed there I believe. There is still a small pod of dolphins that I’ve seen a couple of times just west of their base )
Stuart's offers wrecks, reefs and the awesome drop off on almost every two tank dive.
The vulcan bomber and thunderball wrecks are feet apart. (the bomber was only ever a scaffold shell with a tarp over it. only the wheel is real. it still has air in it. well it did the weekend before last anyway!)
The Will Laurie, (an old mail boat) is a must if you're up for a night dive! Remarkable! i promise you!
The shark dive is a must too. (I think they charge a little extra for that)
Choose either one and you'll have a superb time! PM me if you need anything further!

Oooh! yeh! the drop off down the west side goes from about 65 feet to about 6500 feet. S'pretty much shear!
Like i say, AWESOME!

The movie Flipper (filmed in 1961), and the television show Flipper, were filmed in Miami and Grasse Key, Florida. The lagoon set at the Miami Seaquarium marine park on Virginia Key (Miami) is still there. I worked with several of the Flipper dolphins as late as 1979. Some of the scenes of Into the Blue with Jessica Alba (filmed in 2004) were set at Stuart's Cove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom