Standard BC vs Backplate and Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RetroDiver Jr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to this forum, and didn't find an answer to this question.

I am a rec diver, who is in need of a new BC.
Deciding on a back inflate, I had the Oceanic Excursion in mind.
However, I was over at one of my instructor's place (who is also a tec diver), and tried on his DiveRite TransPlate with 2 Steel 80s.
This was a tad heavy being a little guy, but it seemed to fit nice.
Being a rec diver, I would only be using a single cylinder, but I liked the fit, and the advantage of a SS backplate adding weight (I use very little as is); and would have to add very little extra to a belt or pouches.

I would like to hear others opinions on this matter, and about your experiences.
Your advise is greatly appreciated.

RDJ

I am new to this forum, and didn't find an answer to this question.

I am a rec diver, who is in need of a new BC.
Deciding on a back inflate, I had the Oceanic Excursion in mind.
However, I was over at one of my instructor's place (who is also a tec diver), and tried on his DiveRite TransPlate with 2 Steel 80s.
This was a tad heavy being a little guy, but it seemed to fit nice.
Being a rec diver, I would only be using a single cylinder, but I liked the fit, and the advantage of a SS backplate adding weight (I use very little as is); and would have to add very little extra to a belt or pouches.

I would like to hear others opinions on this matter, and about your experiences.
Your advise is greatly appreciated.

RDJ

RDJ,

I design, build and sell Backplates and Wings, so I may be a bit biased:)

Many divers have found a BP&W to be a could solution. The combination of a plate, which provides ballast up over a the divers positive lungs, with a simple harness results in a n uncluttered configuration.

In addition the modular nature of a BP&W allow permits selection of of a plate, wing and harness that best meets your application.

If you have any specific questions regarding BP&W's or if you would like me to make a recommendation for your application please let me know.

Tobin

ive been diving a zealge tech (rear wing) for nearly 10yrs and very very happy but last year i started diving in a bpw and i love it

just my 2cents.....

once you try the comfort and fit of a bp/wings, it's hard to go back to any sort of jacket style BC

of course, many people dive happily with jacket BC's

basically, if you like it, that's what counts. i would try a bp/wings setup, though ... it will help you streamline and get much better trim in the water

I'm surprised that you didn't find an answer, because this is a very frequently discussed topic.

Those of us who dive a BP/W setup tend to be pretty positive about it. We like the simplicity, the modularity, the streamlining, the infinitely adjustable fit, and for those of us in cold water, the ability of the backplate to be some of our required weight.

The downsides (if they strike you that way) are lack of storage and the requirement for some kind of weight system. A lot of us use pockets on our dry suits, or wetsuits, or X-shorts for storage, or you can buy pockets to thread onto the waist strap of the harness. Similarly, you can use weight pockets or the Halcyon ACB system to mimic integrated weights, or wear a weight belt. All of these things do add to the cost of the BP/W system.

I started out in a jacket in OW class, bought a back inflate BC and dove it for a few months, but the first time I dove a BP/W, it was all over, and the BC has never been worn since.

I'm a recent BP/W convert as well. I was a total "hater" of them, until I had one fit for me and I tried it on.

Still haven't been in the water with one yet, but I have my whole system rigged up, sitting next to me. Just need to get in the pool once or twice to trim it out :D

Danny

P.S. For what it's worth, I started in a jacket BC, bought a back inflate after class and dove with that for a year, and I'm now on the BP/W.

Hey, Retro. There is an apect to choosing a BC that folks don't realize until afterwards. If you have to walk any distance with your gear on, it has to be comfortable doing that. Everything gets rather comfy when it is virtually weightless underwater. On the surface a BC can dig, chafe, pinch or irratate tour body on a quarter mile walk.

How you carry weights, if needed, are another walking diver's concern. Some divers don't like walking with a weight belt on.

This is tough to check out in a store, but something to consider.

Stu

Hi Retro,
I'm in the process of switching to a bp/w after diving a back inflate Seaquest Balance for the past 5 years. I love the Balance, but I am starting to dive doubles, hence the switch. If I was going to remain in singles, I would not bother changing. If you think there's a chance you will start diving doubles at some point, perhaps a bp/w is the way to go from the beginning. You can, of course, use it for singles as well. Just choose the appropriate wing. Buying a bc now, then changing your mind later, as I did, is rather expensive. But if you are absolutely sure you'll stay in singles, a back inflate bc can be a good choice.
Best regards,
Phil

Hey, Retro. There is an apect to choosing a BC that folks don't realize until afterwards. If you have to walk any distance with your gear on, it has to be comfortable doing that. Everything gets rather comfy when it is virtually weightless underwater. On the surface a BC can dig, chafe, pinch or irratate tour body on a quarter mile walk.

My BP is way more stable and confortable walking any distance with gear on. With my back-inflate, the tank woulld wobble and the weight of it would pull down and back on my back and shoulders. The BP, by comparison, is downright orthopedic.

RDJ

I too am a recreationsl diver. I started with a back inflate BCD, moved to a transplate, and eventually went to a basic harness, plate, and single wing. In looking over my overflowing dive equipment storage area, I wish I had just started with the basic harness. I find it to be comfortable, easy to pack, very un-cluttered and streamlined, and very versatile as I can add or remove rings and pockets as I like to suit my changing needs. I will also tell you that I found the Transplate to be too cluttered and bulky. I really didn't need the extra harness connecting plates and rings, , shoulder pads, quick release latches, or chest strap. As far as being able to walk a long distance with a basic harness, I dive mostly from boats, but, I do have to carry my 45 LB, 100cf AL tank a distance when I dive the local quarry and have not found it to be too burdensome or uncomfortable, and I'm and old man.

Hope this helps,
turk9

Back
Top Bottom