Mares isotherm help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonofasailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my 2007 isotherm in the mail today, anyone that owns one knows that the neck seal is extremely long (meaning that it goes right up to your chin). What do you isotherm owners do with the extra, cut it? If so, did it reduce the inside diameter because it seems like it doesn't taper down like a dry suit seal. Do some of you roll it down, roll it back into the suit or outside? Anyone just wear it like they bought it?

thanks for the input.

Hi,

I hope you enjoy your new suit! To answer your question, the suit is designed to have all of the seals (neck, ankle, and wrist) rolled in. The slick (metalskin) material goes against your skin and will create the same seal as a neoprene drysuit seal. This is a very effective way to keep the water out and you warm!

Enjoy,

I had the same concern when I put it on for the first time. The neck seal was too high and chocking me. After you roll it in though it's as comfy as it can be

And while we're at it,
I did my first dive with my new isotherm yesterday, and it really works! The most minute amount of water got in, water temp was 16 degrees C and I didn't feel a thing. I did however get into a pre-dive philosophical discussion with my dive buddy on how you wear your boots and gloves with it. What I did was roll in the seals and wear the boots and gloves above the seals and under the outer layer (the zippered one). He claims that you're supposed to wear them inside both the inner seal and outer layer.
What do the experts think?
On a more personal note, the semidry being what it is, posed a new issue to think about. To P or not to P!:confused: Colder temps are a well known P factor, but the almost complete absence of circulating water does present a certain ethical dilemma. Your thoughts and experiences?
And make sure you bring some more weights along, I had to add 4 more kilos to be able to go down, compared to my 5-4-3 suit.
Best regards
1011ster

To P or not to P!:confused: Colder temps are a well known P factor, but the almost complete absence of circulating water does present a certain ethical dilemma. Your thoughts and experiences?

1011ster

haha, that was my first concern when I was trying it on. If it can seal water from getting out that good, then you know what else is gonna stay in when you pee. I just don't want to get back from a dive, take my boots off and dump them out and see yellow stuff all over the deck.
:showtime:

I roll all seals in and put gloves over the inner seal and roll the outer Isotherm seal over the glove.

Hope that made sense.

I do NOT pee in my semi dri.

To P or not to P is a good question, and I have a great answer, NO! Unless you like marinating your own juice.... eeeuuuwwww! :) After you bath yourself and eradicate the smell from your skin, the saphire plush material on the inside will hold all odors and not relinquish them with out a fight.

As for the seals, the metal skin should be against your skin. It is ok to have the boots or gloves cover the neoprene seals, and then zip the outer layer of the semi dry suit over the top of said boots and gloves.

Hope this clears the air.

Best,

I just don't want to get back from a dive, take my boots off and dump them out and see yellow stuff all over the deck.
:showtime:

Hydrate well and it won't be yellow. :wink:

I owned an early version Isotherm for a few years. It was an excellent product that was far warmer than any "wet suit" that I have ever used. For the last five years, I dive dry when the conditions call for anything warmer than a 5mm one piece suit.

I certainly would not urinate in a semi-dry. In addition to the offensive odor lingering in the material, you would likely have a mild rash from the urine laying against your skin.

A balanced, or unbalanced P-valve would work very well in an Isotherm.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

p valve on a semi-dry? never heard of that one!

Actually there are several divers who have unbalanced versions installed in their wet suits. It is fairly common to see them on cave divers diving wet.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom