Overcharges to Credit Card from Divetank.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently had a problem with Dive Tank as well, I ordered a suit, then found out it would take to long to get it so I canceled the order. I have purchased drysuits from Richard in the past and have always got a great deal on them. However this time I have been hit with a $8.95 international charge, and the charge on the card was $51.00 more than I was told. I asked about this when they refunded the money and my card shows a $51.00 shortage, Richard said this has to do with the exchange rate. His quote was " Give it a few days and if it's not correct I will make it good". He has always been straight with me in the past so I have no reason to doubt him this time. If there is a problem and he makes it right, then I will have no problem dealing with him again, if not then that will be another story.

Chad

I will be honest here as the frustration is building. My girlfriend and I bought bare drysuits two months ago through Divetank, not cheap old ones, but the nice HD Tech ones (which are nice suits actually, DUI quality at half the price in my small opinion). My credit card was charged twice for one suit. I've been asking Richard for a month and a half for a refund. I've heard every story about he's too busy, or one credit refund method will cost him $40 in processor fees, or he needs my statement authorization number, etc. I've been patient to save him the fees in exchange for air shipment of my suit. I've sent my credit card statements to supply any and all conceivable numbers required to process the refund. I'm now paying about $33 a month in finance charges on this $1,740 overcharge - the tab is now about $60-70. I'm extremly upset that I have to pay fees so he could avoid processing a hard refund that would cost him fees. To be fair, last week he said he'd ship me a bare zipper hood for free (the one I asked for originally came as a non-zipper hood) and he's on the case trying to get the refund processed. I'm not sure what it takes to process a refund in Canada but every other credit card refund I've ever asked for from anywhere has not been this difficult. I am completely confused as to why I would get jerked aorund on this. I just checked my credit card online before I wrote this so I'd be fair to them. No refund yet. I also just called the shop - cust svc knows of my problem and assured me another message would be put on Richard's desk. I've tried to be patient and work with this organization, but I can say without hesitation that I will not order from them again nor can I recommend them. LeisurePro is much more accessible and refunds are handled lightening-fast. I'm saddened to have to write this about Dive Tank because Richard was helpful when I first ordered the suit and the site was a recommendation from a respected diver. I was set to live with the minor irritations of not getting post-sale confirms, not getting shipping confirms, not getting an itemized list of charges for the package I put together, etc. But this refund deal has really been the straw to break the camel's back here...

Poeple on the board sometimes fail to advise all that has taken place and we find this a little hard to deal with, Rod you forget to mention you had ordered two two suits from us and had cancelled on, which Christine had handled for you, this got two sales people involed. We do sell close to 1500 drysuits a year, the average shop does 40. So there was a mistake in the two orders and we do say we are sorry ,because you had dealt with Christine and Richard the original refund might have not cancelled out the next. The matter on the two charges was to be done by your credit card company, we did what we could. We do online and phone sales, at times divers order oline and on the phone causing us two run two orders side by side. This can happen, so we ask pick either one and only deal with one person. We asked you for furthur information to get this resolved thru our bank and yours, you also do not mention that you where away on business overseas and did not contact for weeks that the issue was not fixed. You called today and we called you back. To tell you its was reslovled. So please give it a day, and call you credit card company. We dealt with ours on the US side to get it done. We also sent you a bag and hose and a zipper tech hood and also told you the keep the extra one as a spare. Call the shop 1-877-89scuba toll free tomorrow. Dennis

I will be honest here as the frustration is building. My girlfriend and I bought bare drysuits two months ago through Divetank, not cheap old ones, but the nice HD Tech ones (which are nice suits actually, DUI quality at half the price in my small opinion). My credit card was charged twice for one suit. I've been asking Richard for a month and a half for a refund. I've heard every story about he's too busy, or one credit refund method will cost him $40 in processor fees, or he needs my statement authorization number, etc. I've been patient to save him the fees in exchange for air shipment of my suit. I've sent my credit card statements to supply any and all conceivable numbers required to process the refund. I'm now paying about $33 a month in finance charges on this $1,740 overcharge - the tab is now about $60-70. I'm extremly upset that I have to pay fees so he could avoid processing a hard refund that would cost him fees. To be fair, last week he said he'd ship me a bare zipper hood for free (the one I asked for originally came as a non-zipper hood) and he's on the case trying to get the refund processed. I'm not sure what it takes to process a refund in Canada but every other credit card refund I've ever asked for from anywhere has not been this difficult. I am completely confused as to why I would get jerked aorund on this. I just checked my credit card online before I wrote this so I'd be fair to them. No refund yet. I also just called the shop - cust svc knows of my problem and assured me another message would be put on Richard's desk. I've tried to be patient and work with this organization, but I can say without hesitation that I will not order from them again nor can I recommend them. LeisurePro is much more accessible and refunds are handled lightening-fast. I'm saddened to have to write this about Dive Tank because Richard was helpful when I first ordered the suit and the site was a recommendation from a respected diver. I was set to live with the minor irritations of not getting post-sale confirms, not getting shipping confirms, not getting an itemized list of charges for the package I put together, etc. But this refund deal has really been the straw to break the camel's back here...
We replied to you on the original post, please read, you missed out on advising all the info. This has been taken care of by your bank already. You where away on business and sorry it took so long. Dennis, PS we sent you the extra pieces hopefully you recieved them. Call the shop and follow up with us in the next few days, they assured us its been done. And hopefully you did see the refund on the original suit you ordered and cancelled.

I had a problem getting a pinnacle evolution 2 ds from Divetank earlier this year that wasn't there fault. I ended up going with a custom fitted DUI which I'm really happy with, and saved about $500 IIRC. They sent along a nice mexico cavern dvd too.

Thx Richard.

Ps, just wondering. If I complain enough about something, will you give me another great deal on a CLS?? I'm serious here...

Poeple on the board sometimes fail to advise all that has taken place and we find this a little hard to deal with, Rod you forget to mention you had ordered two two suits from us and had cancelled on, which Christine had handled for you, this got two sales people involed. We do sell close to 1500 drysuits a year, the average shop does 40. So there was a mistake in the two orders and we do say we are sorry ,because you had dealt with Christine and Richard the original refund might have not cancelled out the next. The matter on the two charges was to be done by your credit card company, we did what we could. We do online and phone sales, at times divers order oline and on the phone causing us two run two orders side by side. This can happen, so we ask pick either one and only deal with one person. We asked you for furthur information to get this resolved thru our bank and yours, you also do not mention that you where away on business overseas and did not contact for weeks that the issue was not fixed. You called today and we called you back. To tell you its was reslovled. So please give it a day, and call you credit card company. We dealt with ours on the US side to get it done. We also sent you a bag and hose and a zipper tech hood and also told you the keep the extra one as a spare. Call the shop 1-877-89scuba toll free tomorrow. Dennis

Dennis, I take offense that you are twisting the record to make it look like this is my fault. I left out the other details because I thought it only made Dive Tank look worse. If you find my summary post hard to deal with then let me put all the details out there so we can keep this honest and in the complete light of day.

Yes, I did order a cheaper bare suit online on Oct 4th. I then thought about the more expensive suit, concluded it would be a better investment, and called Richard on Oct 8th to discuss it. He explained the suit, mentioned he could get me into the new 07 model with the better fabric, and I agreed to buy it. I bought the upgraded suit and canceled the less-expensive suit, all with him, and all on the phone. I would imagine that this up-sell is a good thing for your shop -- not a complicated transaction that throws everything into disarray. My credit card statement (Dive Tank charges show up as Vast Ventures) shows I was credited for the less-expensive suit THE VERY NEXT DAY on Oct 9th. So I know a refund, at least in a week, is possible. Here are the transactions from my online statement (this is the same info I sent Richard early last week when we talked; I've deleted part of the transaction number for this post though):

10/10/2007 10/11/2007 Sale VAST VENTURE INC(Other) 8510 $1,740.43 (the charge I want refunded)

10/09/2007 10/10/2007 Return VAST VENTURE INC(Other) 9181 $-1,157.25 (the refund of the less-expensive suit)

10/08/2007 10/09/2007 Sale VAST VENTURE INC(Other) 1467 $1,731.46 (the purchase of my fancier HD Tech suit package)

10/04/2007 10/05/2007 Sale VAST VENTURE INC(Other) 7420 $1,143.37 (the purchase of the less-expensive suit)

Continuing with the details, I then sent an email to Richard in Mid-Oct saying there was an extra charge, please refund. He looked, agreed and I traded several emails with customer service on the refund issue and the fact that I didn't get an itemized list of what I had ordered in the final/HD Tech package. I did get the itemized list after Christine returned, as you may recall, from being out with a cold in late Oct. We discussed the refund again and I was assured it was being processed.

I did leave on a trip - I went to China from Nov 3 to Nov 18. My trip was not the reason this did not get done, however. I have all the emails I exchanged with Dive Tank in October trying to clear this up. I was not negligent by any means by going on my trip and not following up with you, and I will work extra hard to drive that point home because that assertion pisses me off more than anything. I can forward the email compilation to anyone who needs it (just send me a private message) in case there is any doubt whatsoever.

I did encounter a situation where I ran out of credit availability as I traveled around buying flights and hotels for my work assignment. That's when I checked my statement, saw the refund STILL had not been posted to my account and that's when I emailed Richard yet again to try to get some traction on this. Plus, the interest I pay on the charge is annoying, but the extra hood should help make up for it. The other items are actually small items my girlfriend ordered in her HD Tech package but never received (the ds bag, wax, talc, and hose); she has called several times to iron all that out. I told Richard to put her stuff and my hood in one shipment - to try to save you guys some hassle and money actually. I haven't seen that box yet, but it's only been a week - perhaps there is a tracking number you can email me.

Regarding the confusion over two orders running side-by-side and all that nonsense, my first order was taken out of the system Oct 9th as you can see, Dennis. Just look on the statement above and in your own company records. For a shop that sells 1500 suits a year, how can my old order that was in the system for 4 days in October have possibly fouled your entire refund process up through November? I analyze businesses for a living and I simply can't comprehend some of the rationale you are using as to why this should be excused.

To throw up your hands and say you've called your bank and done all you could, and now it's up to me to wrangle with my bank or credit card to see this to completion is not acceptable. I would kindly ask you again to track it from your side to ensure it is done, and email me with the final word on it. I'm not complaining about a $10 f/x fee here; it's a substantial sum and it's been a long ordeal. As one diver to another, I'm asking for DT's full support until we cross the ultimate finish line. Thanks, Rod

This was probably an extra charge due to an estimate from Fedex or UPS, we then might have told you that the actual charge will be finalized once it ships. Drysuits can cost $40-$120 to ship 2 day or overnight depending on Zip Code and size of box or if its a neoprene or laminate suit. Richard richard@divetank.com

Sorry but this post makes no sense....You are telling me you can not look up the zip code it's being mailed to, you do not know in advance what size box the order will take, nor you are incapable of knowing what material will be used on the order???....Richard, come on, a little reading comprehension is all it takes.........

All I can say is that after reading this thread I will not be doing business with Dive Tank. I'm sure they are nice guys, and they have an excuse and apology for everything, but I see a recurring theme here. It just does not seem to me to be a business run very professionally.

They are very nice to deal with, however their accounting department seems to be incompetent.

Wow! Here's my "on-line" dry suit experience:

1. I read a bunch of reviews on-line for various dry suits.
2. I asked the owner of my LDS (Margaret at United Divers in Somerville, MA) to get a few of them in for me to try on.
3. She did.
4. I tried a few on.
5. I ordered a dry suit from my LDS.
6. It arrived.
7. I paid them (they take cash, charge or, I believe, check). They handed me the suit.
8. They trimmed the wrist and neck seals for me.
9. They threw in a free two-day dry suit class (classroom, pool and open water) as they do with all dry suit purchases.
10. I am very happy . . . and they will be there to take care of me if anything about my suit makes me unhappy.

Moral of the story - there are LOTS of reasons to shop at United Divers in Somerville, MA (or your local LDS) for your next dry suit!!

Back
Top Bottom