Difference between proton 42 and the new abyss 42

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note to Greg B., we do listen the new Abyss has the port to make adjustments without removing the cover. Phil

Well...Now the classic workhorse has just had its only real weakness removed. It is starting to sound like my beloved Mares Akros second stage regs may be headed for the storage bins. I have been using them for my doubles regs for a loooong time.

Greg Barlow

so lets take price out of the equation. it sounds like the abyss 2nd stage is better for what i am going to be doing so that is what i am going to get. but as far as the first stage should i go with the 22 or the 42 for the best performing 1st stage. all this info is very helpful thank you so much.

so lets take price out of the equation. it sounds like the abyss 2nd stage is better for what i am going to be doing so that is what i am going to get. but as far as the first stage should i go with the 22 or the 42 for the best performing 1st stage. all this info is very helpful thank you so much.

The difference in breathing effort would not be noticeable. Either one will serve you well. Personally, I like the looks of the 42.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I've been diving the proton 42 since august, and I am absolutely happy with it! I've fitted the JAX mouthpiece on it and believe me, I don't even feel it in my mouth! It is very light, and I love that the whole face is a purge button. As far as the 1st stage goes, besides being TINY (all kinds of envious looks from the diving buddies), it really provides minimal breathing effort, and it seems to me that the deeper I go the lighter it gets, but that could be me. It sure is durable thanks to it's all metal construction (2nd stage).
You can't go wrong with it!
Best regards
1011ster:D

Back
Top Bottom