Have I just been stung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, I was drunk, and I'll admit it.

On ebay, I put in a bid for a 1968 boxed Golden Royal Aqua-Master for a frightening amount of money.

Next thing I know, I've won, paid and had it delivered.

Now - and I'm not crowing here - it looks too good to be true. As near to flawless as something 39 years old could look.

But here's the rub: - I never asked for documentation, nor has any been delivered. What's more is that I cannot find a serial number. According to Vintage Scuba Supply, there were only 100 of these ever made, so you'd really expect one, wouldn't you?

On the other hand, the box and reg, shown on the following link (about halfway down the page) look 100% the same as what I have: -

Vintage Regulator Collection - Rare and Unusual Regulators

Here's the advert (at the time): -

http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/GoldRoyalAd.jpg

So what do you reckon? Have I copped a fake? Any way of telling?

If it isn't, I have a real collectors item. If it is, I need to contact ebay...

BTW, before anyone has a go at me for being some plastic bandwagon-jumper, my normal reg is a DAAM with banjo and harness :)

Why not check out this thread: Vintage Double Hose :: View topic - The 25th Anniversary Golden Royal Aqua Master 1968

While I can't judge their knowledge, they appear enthusiastic.

One day, I expect to see you to be listed in the Asia Divers newsletter wearing vintage WW2 US Navy hookah gear. :D

Eric, fear not. I've already made the newsletter.

Posed with my DA Aquamaster, taken with the novelty of the pose, the cameraman somehow ignored the T-shirt I was wearing that read "All I want is peace in the Middle East... [and in much smaller lettering] ...and a blowjob". How many complaints do you think they got?:D:D:D

Edit: - and if you read the link you gave, "Lawrence9680" might just be me....

Eric, fear not. I've already made the newsletter.

Posed with my DA Aquamaster, taken with the novelty of the pose, the cameraman somehow ignored the T-shirt I was wearing that read "All I want is peace in the Middle East... [and in much smaller lettering] ...and a blowjob". How many complaints do you think they got?:D:D:D

Edit: - and if you read the link you gave, "Lawrence9680" might just be me....

I was pretty sure it was. Still seems like a group you might want to ask though.

I've considered getting a shirt like that for here. I'm pretty sure I'd only be able to wear it in Sharm though :D

Actually, you should PM to Sam Miller (a.k.a. 21 at VDH) or Phil Nuytten (a.k.a. Phil at VDH) or both and post your question (with pictures) over at VDH.

Both of these fellows are very knowledgeable about the early US Divers regulators and the Golden RAM.

Personally, I can't see someone making a fake Gold RAM. I think it would be easily detected. They sell for a lot of money, but for the trouble of counterfeiting one, it is probably not worth it. JMHO.

Added:
OBTW, not having the certificate is a major bummer.

I think Dr. Sam may even have one or two of them. He's here on scubaboard as Sam Miller.

You may be surprised to know that this question came up sometime before via PM and a golden Aqua Master was sent to me to look over and purchase. At the time I was asked about it the owner had not described it as being the anniversary model, just an Aqua Master. Imagine my shock. The box that it came in contained a document that was signed by Cousteau, there was no serial number as I recall on the regulator and it was exactly like a Royal Aqua Master except it was plated in gold. It was my opinion it was the real deal and I returned it stating so and that the regulator was worth far more than the amount I was being asked to pay for it. The owner then sold it on ebay for quite a profit. He had not realized it's value or that it was in any way special. A second person sometime later asked me the same thing and as I recall it too went on ebay.

As to verifying the authenticity of the unit I would post some pics and/or send them to Sam Miller or Dan at Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators and see if they can authenticate it. There should be a card or document with it signed by Cousteau. Oh, please do not send it to me because I figure a regulator has no value unless it is on my tank and immersed in warm salt water. I don't know who Phil Knuytten is but Dr. Miller should be able to help you but I sure would give it a test run for you---lol :wink:.

N

Bloody time zones, you lot all being so helpful whilst I - ungratefully - was snoring my head off in bed.

Thanks all of you for the advice. My feeling was that manufacturing a fake would be excessive, but the lack of documentation gives me the willies.

I'll get some photos this weekend and follow up with the contacts you've suggested.

Thanks one and all, I'll report back...

As to verifying the authenticity of the unit I would post some pics and/or send them to Sam Miller or Dave at Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators and see if they can authenticate it. There should be a card or document with it signed by Cousteau. Oh, please do not send it to me because I figure a regulator has no value unless it is on my tank and immersed in warm salt water. I don't know who Phil Knuytten is but Dr. Miller should be able to help you but I sure would give it a test run for you---lol :wink:.

N

I am sorry, I though he was fairly well known. Here is Bryan introduction of Dr. Phil Nuytten back in Jun 26, 2005 on his web site for the Q & A threads that we used to have at VDH.

From Bryan:
Our special guest for July will be Dr. Phil Nuytten. Many of you know his work from the latest Historical Diving Society Magazine and his article on Emile Gagnan and the Aqua-Lung 1948-1958. Please take a moment and look at his company website. I can’t even begin to understand how he had time to write such a great paper and still work on all his other projects.
I welcome you to post questions for Dr. Nuytten about the early Aqua-Lungs, his extensive commercial diving work, atmospheric diving suits, submersible etc etc.
Here is a link to his website.

Nuytco Research Limited

Here is a link to that Q & A thread:
Vintage Double Hose :: Log in

It is an interesting thread even two years later.

BTW, who is Dave at VSS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom