Which SLR to buy? Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel (above water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So when places selling the D40 say "USA WARRANTY", how long is that warranty? 5 years? 1 year?

(example Adorama uses the phrase USA Warranty and then in the specs it says Nikon Warranty (as opposed to grey market overseas store only warranty)

You'll have to check, but the warranty is almost certainly a year or less. A lot of electronics is 90 days. Basically they are just saying that it comes through authorized U.S. channels as opposed to foreign, non-warrantied channels. I can't see the point of gray market for the average consumer since the savings is usually only a few percent.

Well, I can't let that slide. You either are not aware of what a Prime lens is, or what Nikon calls their autofocus motor, but that is dead wrong.

ANY Nikon lens with the designation of AF-S has the motor. So just off the top of my head, I own the 300mm F4 AFS. The 105mm macro VR is AF-S. Every Slab of big Nikon glass has AF-S, so 300mm 2.8/2, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm.

The real question here is WHY does it matter if the motor is in the Camera body, or in the lens, or both!

Canon does not put the motor in the Body. Nikon does. Initially this resulted in the increased cost of Canon lenses.

Recognize that all motors are not equal. What does one get with Canon's *KIT* lenses for a motor... Well basically a junky slow motor. If the motor fails, forget AF.

There are arguments on both sides as to what the best approach is. But let's not state mis-information as fact.

From my perspective, the reason one may want to consider something other than the D40 is IF there are prime lenses that one wants to use that do not have a motor. The 60mm macro is a good example.

Nikon's thinking is cut costs, and offer a low end, low cost DSLR. Msost folks that won't pay more than $500 for a body are not going to purchase expensive glass. Prime lenses are generally expensive, and most consumers out there looking for a low end DSLR want zooms.

Exactly my point. I was imprecise, I should have said that they don't make any in the same price range as the D40, but I feel that primes are a very useful type of lens and the fact that you have to pay twice the cost of the camera to get the lowest cost AF-S prime is a fatal flaw. The biggest problem I see as a consumer if that new people will buy a camera, learn about what's available, realize that their camera doesn't support a highly useful lens unless they spend boo-koo bucks for a high-end lens or a new camera.

ok..... I've decided to get the Nikkon over the Cannon based on personal preference.

two last decisions that other looking has created

1.) D40 or D40x. The D40 is 6mp and the D40x is 10mp. I think they are about $200 more. Should I buy it now or wait until the future and upgrade then when more options are available in cameras and of course prices will be cheaper, but it's a redundant purhcase also.

2.) Also, get the two lens set of 18-55mm and 55-200mm or the single lens of 18-135mm ?

decisions, decisions!

IMHO, get the 18-135 and the 70-300 VR, or get one lens, the 18-200 VR. Unless the 55-200mm is fast, what's the max aperture on that one?

I have the 18-135mm and I'm happy with it, as are most.

Re 40/40x, the 40 is supposed to have slightly better image quality at high ISO because denser chips always suffer in that department. Check review photos and see if it makes a difference to you. Personally, I'd get the d40 and spend $200 more on lenses. 6MP is enough if they are good pixels, and they are on the d40.

well I'd love the 18-200, but that lens is still $700 or more for just the lens.

I thought about the regular D40 and the 18-135mm, but it doesn't appear to be sold that way but the D40X does come as a package that way.

Photo Guru Ken Rockwell says get the 40, because it's the only Nikon SLR that will fire the flash at over 1/250. With the money you save buying the cheaper camera, go for the 18-200VR, and you'll only need one lens. You can keep that lens if you decide to move up, and add a 12-24 for twice the price when you're ready to go UW.

I recently went through this process and ended up buying the Canon 400D. I realize that you have now decided on Nikon but having just read post 22 from Matt S I thought I might comment here. When I bought the camera I suppose I kept price as a pretty big factor and didn't even consider the Canon 40D - I believe that's similar to the Nikon D80, although I'm not completely sure if they are the same level or not. Anyway - having now bought a few lenses, and realized the cost of those lenses to get what I wanted, I've become aware that if I'd bought the 40D instead of the 400D I would have been paying about the same cost as one decent lens more - about the same as my EF 70-300mm IS. What I would have gained though would have been quite a bit more camera. Personally I slightly regret I never realized this at the beginning and only considered the entry level DSLRs. I would re-read post 22 very carefully if I was you. The D80 is by all accounts a very nice bit of kit. As for the D40, or 40x - for me these were the cameras I passed over to buy the 400D. The main reason was comparative reviews, and the fact that Nikon uses Sony's sensor and doesn't make it's own.

Whatever though - I'm REALLY enjoying my camera and am learning tons with it. As for lenses, I've already decided to go easy on the AP-C lenses as sometime I will go full frame and that will be costly enough without the added expense of buying all new lenses as well.

Just my 2 yen.......

I guess they've got a book for everything.

Amazon.com: Change to Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies: Books: Julie Adair King

51wJvuZI1-L._AA240_.jpg

Hogan's book is probably better.

Complete Nikon Guide to the D40 and D40x by Thom Hogan

When I was shopping for a D80 book, his was highly praised, and I was very happy with it. I never saw a recommendation for the Dummies book. (Different camera, yeah, but I would have run across it in my research if it was great.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom