Giant Stride in Doubles: Feel much different from single rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, shouldn't be a problem. I have done giant strides with set of doubles and 2 40l deco bottles.

Giant stride is no problem ... a back roll with two deco bottles can be ... interesting.

BTW - I assume you meant 40cf deco bottles ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The hardest parts of boat diving with doubles, for me, are managing myself on the deck of the boat and getting to the entry, and getting back up the ladder. I always make sure my wing is well inflated before I jump in, and I've never noticed any particular difference in the entry between doing it in doubles and singles. Giant strides are awful either way :)

The only difference I have noticed is that it tends to take a little longer for me to pop back up to the surface (double LP 85's with 55# wings). I usually have a 3-5ft drop off of a quarry wall. Once I get my tanks, fins & mask on, get out of my way! I try to gear up as close to the water's edge as humanly possible so I don't have to carry those heavy tanks any further than I have to.

The only difference I have noticed is that it tends to take a little longer for me to pop back up to the surface (double LP 85's with 55# wings). I usually have a 3-5ft drop off of a quarry wall. Once I get my tanks, fins & mask on, get out of my way! I try to gear up as close to the water's edge as humanly possible so I don't have to carry those heavy tanks any further than I have to.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get the doubles to the point that you gear up at?

For my first boat entry with doubles I went off the swim step. Much like you I didn't know quite what to expect with the new rig, and I wanted to make sure my weighting was right before I took the giant stride into the abyss. Now, re-entry up the ladder was a bit tougher.

The only noticeable difference IN water upon entry for me was how you float. I plunged the same but once you pop back up you will probably float lower. I do find popping on surface in doubles slightly less appealing than in single. They float you different and until you get used to it, it can be a bit of a yech, especially in rough water.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get the doubles to the point that you gear up at?

A strong back:D. I usually park as close as I can to where I'm going to gear up Then "Heave Ho!" & carry them to the set- up area. When I'm geared up I want to get to the water ASAP because the harness tends to dig into my shoulders & that ouches a tad.

Not to answer someone else's question, but this is how I get my doubles to the the boat.

Hand Trucks R Us - SmartCart

I found mine at OSH.

I use the same set-up of a dolly...just love it....super strong and light wt., folds up for easy storage and saves your back!!!

Back
Top Bottom