Tank Enclosure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ryan,

One other possability for the USD tripple manifold might be mixed sizes of tanks. 2 - 30's and one 40 for 100cuft. or 2 - 40s and one 30 for 110 cuft. For that to work, the manifold would have to be at least 5.1" C to C.

Ron

Sorry it took me so long but I dove the tanks today and measured them center to center is 5". You might be able to find some higher volume steel tanks that might work. Let me know if you find anything 40cf+. Cheers -Ryan

2 - 40s on the outside with a 30 in the middle would require 5.065" center to center spacing. Unfortunatly it looks like they are just a tiny bit too close. Bummer. That would have been 110 cu ft. Two 40s and a 19 (actually 19.9) would fit. That's just shy of 100 cuft.

If the spacing is 5" then there is slightly less than 1/8" (.12") between the normal 30 cuft tanks.

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter, pressure and capacity of the tanks used in the Cousteau team's first enclosed quad tank system? The one with the triangular chest housing for the regulator.

And what is the diameter, pressure and capacity of the tanks used in the Cousteau team's enclosed silver quad tank system from the 90's?

Will a pair of steel 80's about 7.25" diameter fit your reproduction of the Raid system? What was the size and specs of the original enclosed doubles?

Sorry it took me so long but I dove the tanks today and measured them center to center is 5". You might be able to find some higher volume steel tanks that might work. Let me know if you find anything 40cf+. Cheers -Ryan

Two steel 5.5" diameter 45s or 50s and a steel 3.9" diameter 20?

Ron

Hi Ryan,

I have been looking all over for larger capacity tanks for the ABS tripple manifold and so far the greatest capacity that would fit for sure would be two 5.5" 50 Cu Ft cylinders like either the Faber LP-50 or OMS50 and a Faber LP-20 or OMS20. Of course when you mix sizes of tanks, you must use the same pressure tanks too.

This combination would be 120 Cu Ft.

In Aluminum, the highest capacity would be 109.9 Cu Ft with a pair of 40s and a Luxfur 19 (19.9)

In europe, there are higher pressure 5.5" and 4" diameter tanks that could get you over 150 Cu Ft on that manifold if the threads matched.

Ron.

Hi Ryan,

I got to look at a USD ABS triple manifold for 3 - 30's yesterday. I calculated that for two 40's on the outside and one 30 on the inside, you would need .185" more distance between tanks than with 30's. I measured .215" between the 30's on that manifold so two 40's and one 30 should fit but with hardly any space between the tanks for bands. You probably could be creative with stainless steel hose clamps. JYC has used many tank setups with the tanks touching or almost touching.

That would be 110 cubic feet, a gain or 20 cubic feet over the three origional 30's.

Still not the optimum but should work if you have the manifold and want more air than stock.

Still my favorite triple configuration is 3 - 40's with two of them manifolded togeather with a close space manifold and the third one independant or able to be isolated.

A double hose regulator on the center post is nice with triples too.

Photos of the US Divers ABS from 1988

These images show the U.S.Divers USD ABS Advanced Breathing System from 1988, it was a triple 30 with a specialized manifold and backpack design. This was the updated version of the 1974 U.S. Divers UDS-1 the yellow backpack style scuba rig. Since this is gray it could also be the US Navy Seal version, which nobody seems to have photos of as these were supposed to be Silver or Blue in Color. <BR><BR>

USDivers_ABS198801.jpgUSDivers_ABS198802.jpgUSDivers_ABS198803.jpgUSDivers_ABS198804.jpgUSDivers_ABS198805.jpgUSDivers_ABS198806.jpgUSDivers_ABS198807.jpgUSDivers_ABS198808.jpgUSDivers_ABS198809.jpgUSDivers_ABS198810.jpgUSDivers_ABS198811.jpg

A lot of what Custeau did had more to do with looking good on TV than on practicality. Hence their colorful suits and backpacks. It was all part of the showmanship to make it on TV.

Adam

The silver wet suits were painted.

Back
Top Bottom