Calypso Restoration Underway. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rndboulder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well after many many years of fighting and delays Cousteau's ship Calypso is in dry dock and plans for the restoration are being made. You can view info about Calypso and updates on the restoration project here:

Cousteau Museum

I will do my best to keep the site updated with the latest info for those who are curious.

Cheers.
Ryan Spence

Ryan,
My understanding is that the Calypso was languishing somewhere on the west coast of Mexico. Has that changed? I haven't heard anything about its restoration anywhere else, if I may ask, what is your source?

thanks

It has been in France for quite a while and was in no shape to be towed anywhere.

Nice to see it is FINALLY being restored.

I'm glad to see this
.. anyone growing up watching the Cousteau specials had a soft spot in their heart for that vessel

The Calypso was hit by a barge in Singapore in late 1996. It was raised and then transported to La Rochelle France where it has been rotting while the family fought over ownership. It hasn't moved in nearly 10 years. There was talk of restoring the Calypso in the Caribbean a few years back but that never happened. It was never housed in Mexico.

As for a source there are countless articles on the web (many in French) and I have 3 links on the website( listed as article1 article2 etc.) Go to the link above and click on the link to Calypso Restoration. I also have personal contacts at the Cousteau Society and independent sources in Europe who have provided some of the images you see on the site and have visited the ship in recent months. One contact even dove on the ship to inspect the hull damage. You can read a brief article on the Cousteau Society's web page which was posted in the last day or two:

Cousteau Society - Interim site

I have been conducting research on Cousteau equipment for the past five years and a good portion of the information from my research, including equipment, photos etc. can be found at my site Flashback Scuba: Simply Adventure. Just click on the Museum Link. I also have one of the largest private Cousteau equipment collections which I exhibit several times a year. My avatar is me diving with all original Cousteau equipment. You can drop me a line if you have further questions.

-Ryan

I also have one of the largest private Cousteau equipment collections ...
Got any parts for that little gasoline powered HP compressor they were selling back in the early '60s? One of the cylinder [piping] elbows is broken off on mine & the used replacement I managed to find some 25 years ago looks to have some pretty weak looking threads.

No compressor parts, but I do have the tanks Cousteau used to dive the Britannic :) There are people with lots of old US Divers parts. I specialize in the custom made equipment for the Cousteau TV Series & Expeditions. You should ask over on the board at vintagescubasupply.com & vintagedoublehose.com They are great at finding parts. -Ryan

I gracefully take a knee for this ship. Excellent post and let's keep updating as information comes in.
Amazing.......9 years! Jean Michelle was/is a difficult man to deal with - his father knew it.

Jean Michelle was/is a difficult man to deal with - his father knew it.

I guess I've been very fortunate then... in the 30+ years I've known Jean-Michel I've never seen that to be any more of a problem than with other human beings. I know dozens of people who have worked with him over those decades who would agree with me.

As for the Calypso, it is good to see the restoration beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom