Dive Conditions Morehead City in Late November??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heatherohio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Husband & I are visiting family in the Charlotte Area for Thanksgiving, and want to take a couple days and dive in Morehead. What can we anticipate as far as water temps, viz, .... (I do know that varies, but an average idea would be great)? Also I am looking for some ideas for sites, some shallower wrecks. We have dove in Cozumel to around 85 ft, but currently hold only our OW Cert. Any tips and pointer as always are appreciated. I will check back soon, and we are trying to make plans. Thanks!

Heatherohio

i hope you end up with a great trip! i'm sure someone else will chime in since i haven't been able to dive this year (baby), but last november temps were still low 80's offshore & viz was phenomenal. inshore is likely to be cooler & dimmer, since the gulf stream is what brings warmth & clarity. some groups to check into - olympus in morehead itself & discovery in beaufort, just down the road.

i'm also sending you a pm. :D

Heather, If you don't make it out to the coast during the holidays there are some quarries you can dive if you're just dying to get wet. :) There is also a great group of local divers in NC you can hook up with in the Charlotte, Raleigh and coastal area. I hope the weather is spectacular during your visit. I've heard the offshore diving is still good in November and December. I hope to find out for myself in December.

BTW, there is a sticky at the top of the NC forum with dive charter info. You can find Olympus and Discoveries info there.

Conditions in November really can go either way. It's been blowin' like the devil here lately, so no one has been diving and my guess is that things are stirred up. At the same time, any problems from this storm will be cleared out by the end of the month and it might be beautiful....but you should always have a plan b, just in case.

My first impression is that Wilmington might have more to offer you with regard to what you're looking for. Are your plans to visit Morehead already set? If so, you best chance for some shallower wrecks would be to hop on an afternoon Saturday or Sunday trip to a wreck like the Indra. Any of the morning trips have the potential to get you in 120' of water, which might be more than your looking for.

Rich

Conditions in November really can go either way. It's been blowin' like the devil here lately, so no one has been diving and my guess is that things are stirred up. At the same time, any problems from this storm will be cleared out by the end of the month and it might be beautiful....but you should always have a plan b, just in case.

My first impression is that Wilmington might have more to offer you with regard to what you're looking for. Are your plans to visit Morehead already set? If so, you best chance for some shallower wrecks would be to hop on an afternoon Saturday or Sunday trip to a wreck like the Indra. Any of the morning trips have the potential to get you in 120' of water, which might be more than your looking for.

Rich
Thanks for the reply... Do you recommend any dive ops in wilimington???

There are 2 majors, aquaticsafaris.com and capefeardivers.com

My recommendation would be pick the op based on which site they plan to dive. Something like the John D Gill, or Hyde and Markham would be my choice. wilmingtondiving.com has a ton of good information.

Rich

Hey Rich, think I'll survive in my 5/6/7 next weekend? Not really comfortable enough in the drysuit yet to go offshore.

I think you'll be fine. Water temps on the beach south of wilmington were still around 70 last weekend. Are you coming for the Norwood thing, or just some general diving?

Rich

Will be there for the Norwood Dive Saturday. May try to get down in time to dive Friday too.

What is the Norwood thing you're talking about? I have not found anything about it??? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom