Halloween Night Dive Spectacular comes to Sydney!!!Check out the pictures!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl_Fallon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
G'Day guys,

Last night Abyss Scuba Diving in Sydney held the first ever Halloween Night Dive Spectacular, Spectacular in Sydney!

What a brilliant night last night. Thanks to everyone that turned up, and imparticular the people that got right into the spirit of the night and dressed up for the occasion.

We had 31 divers, 18 support crew (Zombies and Draculars) on shore, and loads and loads of cool carved pumpkins.

The winner was Nathan Owles with his carving of a Spider, and second prize went to Nick Windle for NEMO!

I hope everyone had a great time, and hopefully in the years to come the event gets bigger and bigger!

I hope you all enjoy the images.

Halloween_01.jpg

Halloween_02.jpg

Halloween_03.jpg

The judging begins!

Halloween_04.jpg

Halloween_06.jpg

The 2 finalists, NEMO and the SPIDER!

Halloween_07.jpg

The prestigious award. Abyss Scuba Diving, Best Pumpkin Carver

Halloween_08.jpg

The Winner is Nathan Owels, with the SPIDER!!!

Halloween_09.jpg

David Ellis won best dressed!

Halloween_10.jpg

It was a late night.

Halloween_11.jpg

And the kiddies!

Halloween_12.jpg

Halloween_13.jpg

The Winning entry.

Halloween_15.jpg

Halloween_16.jpg

NNN EEEE MMMM OOOOO

Halloween_17.jpg

and last but not least, Mr Peter Letts

Great night guys, see you all next year!

Fantastic shots! You have Pumpkins in Oz??!! I also see watermellons, cool.

OI, Almitywife, thought you said Hallowe'en was some N.A. dross? What's up wizzat? (Best Oz accent attempt)

Best regards,
shoredivr
Deans' Sport and Dive Underwater Pumpkin carving 2007 winner,
Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario

I recognize the purple wig.:rofl3:

Looks like it was a fun night!!

Yeah, it was fantastic! It was the first time any of us had done anything like it...

Hopefully it will become an annual event.

Fairybasslett, I thought you would recognize the purple wig. She sure does get arround, doesnt she!

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon

my points go to the nemo carving... now thats cool!!!!!!!!!! :wave-smil

and :clapping: to Carl!!!!!

i know you had ALOT of opposition to the halloween thing so well done for pulling it off and making a fun night

my points go to the nemo carving... now thats cool!!!!!!!!!! :wave-smil

and :clapping: to Carl!!!!!

i know you had ALOT of opposition to the halloween thing so well done for pulling it off and making a fun night

Almitywife,

I am curious. What did you mean about ALOT of opposition to the halloween thing?

Thanks

Almitywife,

I am curious. What did you mean about ALOT of opposition to the halloween thing?

Thanks

my only opposition was to the original underwater carving idea as i didnt want the rubbish floating around in the water but Carl changed it so that it was bring your carved pumpkin and take it diving instead (and well done for that!)

but basically halloween is not an aussie thing...... its seen as just another over commericialized nth american custom that we can do without down here so poor carl took a few on our local forum but the the proof is in the attendance and enthusiasm and his crew had alot of fun.

cheers

Hi Almity,

Agreed that nobody wants pumpkin particles floating around post dive, makes for bad diver role models.

The way we do it in Ontario to keep the junk out of the water (ie, the guts and seeds and the bits you cut out of the pumpkin) is in two steps. Before you get in the water, you cut out the top and gut the pumpkin, putting the seeds etc in the trash. You take a mesh bag with you underwater, and you and your buddy make sure that the bits you cut out get put in the bag after each cut you make.

Some people put a weight in the pumpkin to keep it from floating away underwater. Some people carve them in shallow water ie chest height. I'd consider this "cheating": you want to be in water over your head.

Last weekend's competition had an underwater trail, with ghosts, tombstones and skeletons on the way to the underwater training platform in 20 ft of water where the carving took place. Two dive shops organized this, with volunteers putting the props in underwater beforehand. Food and prizes after the carving.

It's a real challenge to cut the pumpkin underwater the first time you do it, since it wants to get away from you and float up. That's part of the fun.

Anyway, Carl, glad it was a big success!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom