Utila & the big 3-oh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at Deep Blue last March and it was awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone. Steve and Jasmine are awesome, as was the entire dive staff. We saw 3 different whale sharks in one day. They will search for whale sharks during the surface intervals and if they see nothing, they go onto your 2nd dive. I loved the whole operation. Deep Blue has more of a beach, although it's pretty rocky. Laguna Beach is more in the lagoon.

Sorrows,

We enjoyed the diving ... green morays on almost every dive, scorpion fish, sea horses, crabs, lobsters, octopus on the night dives, eagle ray, small groupers and one big one, turtle, giant hermit crab, juvenile trunkfish, pipefish, porcupine fish along with the usual suspects. There were some great brain corals, barrel sponges, and soft corals. We didn't see a ton of big critters, but maybe it wasn't our week. The week before the resort divers saw a black tip shark, manta ray, and a whale shark all in the same day. You just never know. We still had a great time.

Laguna Beach Cabins face the Lagoon to the north. There is a very large white sandy beach that faces south and a nice pool with a whale shark mosaic on the beach side. We didn't use the beach much due to sand fleas, but we dipped in the pool a couple of times.

Hi Trey,

Sorry to be so long, I've been in transit. RTB/UTL is 4pm flight. UTL/RTB is 9:45am flight, although Saturday when we had folks on Delta they were running it at 9:30am instead of 9:45am, and even were nice enough to bump us up to 6am when the weather started looking like it might cause flight delays. They brought the plane in Friday night & slept there overnight. Took our folks out 1st thing in the morning. No complaints so far!

Check with Mayan Caribbean Tours for prices. I'm up here doing a show right now & don't have access to the fare schedules.

See you guys in December!
E

We stayed at Deep Blue last March and it was awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone. Steve and Jasmine are awesome, as was the entire dive staff. We saw 3 different whale sharks in one day. They will search for whale sharks during the surface intervals and if they see nothing, they go onto your 2nd dive. I loved the whole operation. Deep Blue has more of a beach, although it's pretty rocky. Laguna Beach is more in the lagoon.

I'm going to stay at Deep Blue in May so its good to hear your comments
greg

I just got back from Utila last week (Oct. 13th - Oct. 20th 2007) and we stayed at Laguna Beach Resort. Here's the scoop.

Both resorts are right next to eachother on the south side. IMO Laguna Beach is the nicest resort on Utila with bigger, faster dive boats to get you around the island quicker. Our captain's name was Wagner - he was born on Utila and has captained a boat for over 20 years on the island. He said if he can't find the whale sharks no one can. I believe him. Also, Wagner is really funny! On the island most of the locals know eachother - Wag's buddy drives the boat for Deep Blue.

Bernardo is the local chef at LBR, which the food for an all inclusive is very good. The owners, Troy and Edith, were terrific. They were always around at breakfast, lunch and dinner to chat with the guests and answer questions. They even invited us to their home on our departure day. Our dive master, Al, did a great job as well. On our last day, after diving, Al and Wag invited us to their local bar. Harry, the pilot, was very polite and personable.

Upon our departure, I felt that I was leaving not only a beautiful island with good diving, but I was leaving friends and family behind. I've never had that feeling leaving a resort before. LBR really stands out in customer service and personal attention. We didn't see any whale sharks this trip - it wasn't high season. But when we go back in high season it will be at Laguna Beach or maybe on the Utila Aggressor (Troy and Edith own that too).

Be warned! This is exactly how we felt after our first LBR trip... now we've done 3 in less than two years!

Wow! Thanks for all of the great replies to my post. My friend Ashley and I have booked a trip to Deep Blue for the week of April 5th. Hope to see some of you there.

Cheers

Ben

Let me know how it goes with Deep Blue I'll be there a month later
greg

We would also love to hear about Deep Blue and your trip. We will be there April 19th -26th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom