Newbie needs help on Key Largo Trip....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carnell04

Reaction score
Two of us are beginners and the other one is an expert. We are three married 39 yr old males (wives staying at home) going on a scuba trip to Key Largo in April 08 (Sunday night to Wed night = 3 days of diving). I had a few questions:

1) What is a good diving co. to go diving with? We of course dont want big crowds of divers and want a smaller number of divers due to 2 of us being brand new.

2) Where is a good place to stay very close to the docks the above companies use?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Silent World in Key Largo runs a Perfect ship. and they have a nice hotel right down the street they recomend named the pelican. Great rooms very cheap and right on the water.. even have free kayak's for customers really cool place. But you cant go wrong with Silent World the owners are great and the boat crew is top notch.

Whechever company you use, make sure you dive the Benwood. By far the best dive I did in the Keys last spring. I dived with Island Ventures.

I've used Conch Republic Divers several times and been very pleased. They also have a special deall for a two bedroom condo at Ocean Point Condos that are really nice and close to the shop.

You will enjoy Key Largo. The SG and Duane are world class wrecks dives in recreational depths and the reefs are beautiful. My favorite is Snapper's Ledge.

Conch Republic is a great operation. Capt Gary is a regular here in the Forum. He and Brenda make sure that you enjoy your diving in the Keys.

For accommodations I would check with who ever you are booking your dives through as they usually have some kind of arrangements for discounts. You can also check with Speargirl. She does rentals that a lot of people rave about.

I was just there the last two weekends. Florida Keys Dive Center (mm 90.5 +/- right on the south end of Tavernier Creek Bridge) is a very nice operation. I got my AOW and Nitrox from them and had a great time. Two nice boats and usually not really crowded. The busiest was a night dive we did on a Saturday night. Any operator will be busier on the weekends, but these guys are equipped to handle it. With the days you are diving, I wouldn't worry too much. You can stay at Keys Inn (cheap, but clean) or Ocean Pointe Condos and they have discounts with both places.

We used Horizon Divers when we dived in September, they have a deal with the Ramada next door and we walked to and from the boat, and they have sroage so you don't have to haul your equipment back and forth.

Several high quality operators have been mentioned, but one is missing: Brent with Blue Water Divers in Key Largo. He docks at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, which is convenient.

See speargirl for a nice condo at a reasonable rate. They're about one mile south of a concentration of dive ops. The Ramada is in the thick of it. Several ops within a five minute walk. If you reserve early with 5-Pack HMS Minnow you can call the sites. Great boat and driver. Ocean Divers has big boats but a published schedule so you'll where you're going. Benwood is a super shallow wreck sight and Snapper Ledge will leave you with your mouth hanging open - MANY fish.

For the Tavanier area Snapper Ledger is good. Another great shallow sight with lots of fish is Davis Reef. If the conditions are right it is hard to beat Hens & Chickens.

For the central Key Largo area you have French, Molasses, the Benwood, Pickles, Pilar Coral, Sand Island....

For the north end you have Key Largo Dry Rocks, the City of Washington, the Elbow, North Dry Rocks, North North Dry Rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom