A real DEEP blue hole.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got back from a missions trip to Yucitan - Tixbacab. There is a little town South of it callet Cenotilla. Obviously it's named after a Cenote as you can see by the name :D

Get some :popcorn:
Well, we were a hard working crew and liked to go swimming in the cenotes in the area after work, the first one we had been to was in the millde of a field and was a bit green/brown and slime covered. One of the locals hauled us around in a cattle truck (pictures later) and knew where the close ones were. So, one day we drive up and stop at a little path, the path leads to a cave. COOL I think..... :lotsalove: I'm guy #2 in line. Somehow #1 gets past the guardian, I'm lucky enough to get the crud scared out of me by somthing bouncing off my leg a couple times. No flashlights, but we can see a light in front of us, so I have no idea what it was that thought I was a trampoline. Turns out, its a huge frog. No problemo, then we see the water.
I forgot the frog at this point. It was a crystal clear blue, the cave top had about a 12'x20' hole in top with the light shining straight down.:11: I whish you guys could see this thing, it's better than any picture you could ever see. The cavern was about 50' tall, so there was all kinds of good cliff jumping. On the last day there, we went back and another guy and I took snorkeling gear and an LED flashlight. We dove down to about 20/25', vis was 30'+ w/ the little lights and still just as blue as ever. It had a huge cavern on one side and a DEEP hole on the other. Word has it by the locals is there is Mayan artifacts in it, but it's said to be 400'+ deep. A deep diving idiot died in it about two years ago.:shakehead: They said he had stage cyls, but who knows. I'm figuring the lure of Mayan gold made him do something stupid.

Anyway, I can see now why people like diving cenotes, even if it is just a big blue hole :D I have a picture, but need to lighten it up some first.....

Asta.
G
PS, the guy that was with me wants me to take him down the NM and dive the hole. So, watch for a post sometime on it... Plus, I just put together Brian's Steel 72 doubles, so he will by itching to try them out.

VERY cool!! I have yet to go down to the Cenotes, which is high on the "I want to go here list".

Was this just free dives right? Are you thinking returning with scuba gear?

Sounds cool, too bad you did not have some gear.

We just got back from the Hole, and I'm not sure if I can get there again before the year end. Maybe in December.

Just free diving, I don't think I could get dive gear in there unless I had a way to bring it from Cancun. It's about a 3 hour trip.

I found a dive outfit that does Cenote dives, but not sure where they are. I had their phone numbers with me, but we never had the time to do it. I even took my c-card and dive log with me...... I wouldn't want to tell the dive shop where this one was anyway, it's on private land.

The Phantom Dive shop in Playa Del Carmen can set you up with cenote dives... I have never done them but one of my buddies has and said it was the coolest things ever, vis so clear that you actually forget you are underwater

I work in Playa Del Carmen in the summers. I'de rather be in the cenotes over the ocean any day. Can't get enough of them. Even if you've dove all the popular ones, there are always ones unexplored to go to. It's a MUST do.
Have you ever seen a movie where someone is starting to pass out and the screen gets blurry and dark? That's what haloclines are like. I always have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not passing out but just going through a halocline. Like doing drugs legally. ;o)

I've done a few deep dives in grottos, I can only emagine what a chrystal clear Cenote would be like.... Hal Wats was the first, that was really fun. I have a picture of the Buick at 130', that's where I did the deep specialty.
I was told to go to Playa Del Carmen for a nice under touristed area - ie no slavas Americanas party lizzards like Cancun has. Next year is my 20th anniversary, but my wife is thinking Scotland. She doesn't dive and we have been wanting to check out the family name......

Back
Top Bottom