Pray for SoCal - the place is burning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Federal effort to provide temporary relief and supplemental aircraft has been stellar so far, from reports on the news. The contrast with New Orleans is striking.

The Lt-Governor stated on the news that a major factor in the present hazard has been with wooden rooftops on residences. Hopefully this potential hazard will not be repeated, during the rebuilding phase after these fires are out, finally, for this season.

Prayer that the insurance companies can weather the financial storm of repaying claims without bankrupting is the major issue now. With adequate insurance, a housing and economic boom will probably result. This cloud has a silver lining. It will just take a little time.

It is very fortunate that the deaths have been very low so far. This suggests that prayers are being answered on a wholesale basis. In the Peloponnesos fires, there was no insurance, and many deaths. Southern California has been very lucky so far, and quite blessed, even though things seem at their worst at the moment.

This is an extensive firestorm covering areas from north of Santa Barbara to south of San Diego. The enormity of the areas burned staggers the mind. Is it any wonder that resources are stretched thin and there aren't enough firefighters or equipment (assuming those accusations are true)? The winds have prevented aircraft from combating a number of the fires.

I'm sure there is legitimate criticism that can be brought to bear by Monday morning quarterbacks. However, I hope they keep in mind that we have restricted property taxes thanks to Prop 13, and these reductions in taxes may well have consequences in terms of the number of firefighters and extent of equipment available.

Those who rail against paying taxes may be the very same people who complain when services they demand are not properly funded. Just something to think about.

I, for one, applaud the firefighters for doing what they can with the resources we give them.

i was watching tv last night and there was a report on fire crews that consisted of prisoners from a jail out that way

apparently its a privillage to be part of this program, they have a huge % reduction in repeat offenders and never had a prisoner fail to return to jail after their fire fighting duties are completed.

ALL the fire crews are amazing

i was watching tv last night and there was a report on fire crews that consisted of prisoners from a jail out that way

apparently its a privillage to be part of this program, they have a huge % reduction in repeat offenders and never had a prisoner fail to return to jail after their fire fighting duties are completed.

ALL the fire crews are amazing

Fire crews do use prisoners from various jails and prisons around the state. They are trustees and are trained fire control laborers and provide a very useful service. In the past they also used inmates from juvenile work camps until several were killed fighting a fire in the 60’s (behind my house!). Sadly, the recidivism rate is lower with these guys but not zero.

This is an extensive firestorm covering areas from north of Santa Barbara to south of San Diego. The enormity of the areas burned staggers the mind. Is it any wonder that resources are stretched thin and there aren't enough firefighters or equipment (assuming those accusations are true)? The winds have prevented aircraft from combating a number of the fires.

I'm sure there is legitimate criticism that can be brought to bear by Monday morning quarterbacks. However, I hope they keep in mind that we have restricted property taxes thanks to Prop 13, and these reductions in taxes may well have consequences in terms of the number of firefighters and extent of equipment available.

Those who rail against paying taxes may be the very same people who complain when services they demand are not properly funded. Just something to think about.

I, for one, applaud the firefighters for doing what they can with the resources we give them.

We all worried about you Dr Bill when that Santa Catalina fire was raging before as well. Looks like you got through it unsindged, although your hair does look a bit sindged in that avatar of yours!:D

[Oh, and if you are thinking of running for Governor, don't do it on a raising-taxes platform. Bad idea!]

[Oh, and if you are thinking of running for Governor, don't do it on a raising-taxes platform. Bad idea!]

Sometimes the voters can accept the truth! Heck, I might win.... gulp.

The Lt-Governor stated on the news that a major factor in the present hazard has been with wooden rooftops on residences. Hopefully this potential hazard will not be repeated, during the rebuilding phase after these fires are out, finally, for this season.

Untreated wood-shake roofs have been banned in California for many years. Those that you still see are either treated, very convincing-looking fakes, or are the original roof to that house.

While there are still some untreated wood shake roofs still in use, in eastern San Diego County where the majority of losses are those homes were built primarily from the 1980's onward and do not use untreated wood shake roofing. Many of the San Diego County houses I saw burning had red tile roofing, which is a classic SoCal design.

And remember that even if the roof surface isn't wooden, with most SoCal houses the rest of it is. Our earthquake standards make building with brick an expensive proposition, and when you do see brick on a SoCal house it's for decorative purposes only. Plus Californians love their wooden decks, especially if they have a sloping property.

And firefighters please correct me, but with wildfires isn't the biggest hazard simply the radiant heat going through the windows and setting fire to the interior contents, rather than embers setting the structure itself on fire?

Untreated wood-shake roofs have been banned in California for many years. Those that you still see are either treated, very convincing-looking fakes, or are the original roof to that house.

While there are still some untreated wood shake roofs still in use, in eastern San Diego County where the majority of losses are those homes were built primarily from the 1980's onward and do not use untreated wood shake roofing. Many of the San Diego County houses I saw burning had red tile roofing, which is a classic SoCal design.

And remember that even if the roof surface isn't wooden, with most SoCal houses the rest of it is. Our earthquake standards make building with brick an expensive proposition, and when you do see brick on a SoCal house it's for decorative purposes only. Plus Californians love their wooden decks, especially if they have a sloping property.

And firefighters please correct me, but with wildfires isn't the biggest hazard simply the radiant heat going through the windows and setting fire to the interior contents, rather than embers setting the structure itself on fire?

The best treatment for a wooden roof is to sell the Mercedes, buy a Honda, and use the extra cash that was saved to put a composite fireproof roof, or adobe, onto the house.

What kind of treatment do you suppose will prevent wood from catching fire in a wildfire?

Besides fire breaks around the property (like an Arizona motif with rocks etc), the only thing that will save a house is noncombustible roofing.

The Lt-Governor was speaking about insurance premium discounts when he spoke of the hazard of wooden roofing. It makes sense however from a safety standpoint as well. Glad they were finally banned. Really dumb idea in the first place, to stack the equivalent of firewood on top of your most expensive asset, your house. Especially with a Mercedes also in the garage. Havent you seen this on the news?

Back
Top Bottom