UAE based Marine TV channel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stillhope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My underwater TV series (http://SEA-Inside.org) is being courted by a new satellite station out of U.A.E., and their website is glossy but solid information on it is sparse. So I thought I'd ask here if maybe someone knows anything about it or about that sort of TV station.

The station is called "Marine BizTV" (http://marinebiztv.com) -- The World's First Global Maritime TV Channel. I really haven't been following the satellite TV industry, so any insight offered here would earn my undying admiration and thanks.

Marine BizTv is Indian management. Full of big claims but little substance. There are currently three channels competing in the market. Bahry TV was actually the first Marine based TV channel, conceptually. Marine BizTV aired first. Bahry TV broadcasts out of Kuwait, with a full MENA footprint on a free-to-air basis... Same as Marine BizTV. The third channel is Knotika TV based on magazine, but not yet fully operational. Marine BizTV and all these marine channels are on shakey grounds in terms of budgets and targets. All three are finding it difficult to bring in advertising revenues. But its just a matter of time as this region loves the concept of marine television.

Hiya cky,

But its just a matter of time as this region loves the concept of marine television.

Well, the only problem is that they are so intent on destroying the marine environment in the region. Look at all the artificial islands they have built/are building that have completely destroyed all the reefs along the coast and silted the in-shore wrecks. Now it's the same with the new port on the east coast, they extended it all the way to Shark Island (which is part of the marine park isn't it?).
Money talks...

cheers
Ian

I know a few marine biologists in Dubai who are very involved with conservation and media events, if you still need info I could ask them for you?

thanks for the discussion, I don't know much about what's going on over there in the gulf or with these start-up satellite stations.

JoeG, are you providing video to any of these stations? What kind of video and what kind of terms, if I may ask? Are these stations examples of moneyed capitalists trying to turn a quick profit in a market they don't understand well enough? Or is there something else going on?

IanT please clarify for me who "they" are. Do you mean Aires Marine or ???

Gitano, I will appreciate any additional information about all of this.

Ok, I've sent a message to one of them, Ill check back as soon as I know anything

theyre rather passionate about the subject, there's a deep rooted culture and tradition around the scene. with the disposable income in the area, theres rapid growth in maritime interests- give the growth of coastal real estate development and marinas. its a commercial thinking enterprise, but theres a genuin love for the seas. although were working with these channels to create content for awareness and conservation issues, we have often had discussions with them on their intent to feature spear fishing and the age old argument of weather spearfishing is right or wrong. the middle east is really beginning to create a viable diving industry, clearly egypt and livaboard operations have formed a catalist in this market. we have also been pitching a number of diving related series and our own current project, "The Voyage Against Time" has sponsorship support from scubapro and divelink throught their local agents and distributers.

Back
Top Bottom