Backward kick: Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For both me and my husband, once we got the back kick working well, we agreed that the motion you use feels circular, like your feet are making little circles outward.

I've tried to figure out what motion I use for the back-kick, and it's definitely not that easy to analyze. I don't believe I use exactly the same technique to load the fins as what they are teaching in GUE-F. From what I have seen from students who have taken GUE-F, they seem to emphasize the full extension version of the kick (i.e. turn ankles in so fin tips touch, extend legs straight backward, and then flare the fins out and draw forward).

I think my lower legs rotate back on the load stroke, rather than being extended back. I believe my fins are somewhat angled during this movement, but without the fin tips actually touching together - similar to the tail of an F-117 fighter. At least that's how it feels anyway. I guess I need to get one of my DIR buds to shoot some video of me to be able to tell for sure.

And just as an additional note - most of these propulsion techniques can be done with an entire range of possible movements, utilizing everything from knees, calves, and ankles (i.e. "big" motion) down to just ankles for sculling (i.e. "small" motion). I commonly do a small motion back-kick (which I call a back "flick") that involves just the ankles, and of course there is not much leg extension at all on that. That motion is definitely circular with respect to the fin tips, as TSandM describes.

And just as an additional note - most of these propulsion techniques can be done with an entire range of possible movements, utilizing everything from knees, calves, and ankles (i.e. "big" motion) down to just ankles for sculling (i.e. "small" motion).

I definately agree. Once you find someting that works try to optimize that. I know my knees flare out a bit and my butt tends to stcik up and all manner of craziness (at least it feels that way). But by gum I can go backwards with doubles and stages so it works. Don't get into a trap of continually flailing against a motion which doesn't work for you.

My husband did what's been described above. He got in the pool, no gear, no fins, and on the surface, worked on the back kick just with his feet. He got it really quickly, and soon could do laps backwards

Damn true !!!

I have never been able to back-kick with my JF and got frustrated but today during the warm up laps in the pool I thought about this thread, grabbed a kickboard and tried to back-kick...

After not more than 10 seconds that I started practising it I was able to do full lap but then I had to stop because coach did not undestrand what I was doing in the lane...

I had, and still have,a big smile on my face, next Sunday I have got one thing to do with my JF on...

Thanks a lot...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Going into the Fundies course, I had a partially effective back kick so I learned a lot on the course. My instructor had the best analogy I've heard to date. Pretend that you're lying on your stomach on a skateboard. The motion of the back kick is similar to propelling yourself up a hill by hooking your feet around series of telephone poles on both sides. (I hope this makes some sense :) )

To avoid floating up, my instructor suggested angling your legs slightly down and starting the motion there; others have suggested slightly breaking trim to do this but I've had good success just angling my legs down slightly before the propulsion portion of the kick.

Lastly, don't forget to maintain the glide portion of the kick for a few seconds between kicks so you actually move somewhere; at the beginning, I was cutting this short and hence decreasing the efficiency of my propulsion techniques. It's all about finding what works for you. Good luck!

Great tips, I'll have to try these out to get to finally get a back kick (I don't have one at all now) and hopefully move on to a Tech Fundies rating, in addition to the other skills I need to work on.

When I first learned, it was very hard for me and I thought I'd never get it. What I found was to keep my head up, putting your head down causes you to lose your trim and you start going up. In a drysuit that's very uncomfortable as you start to go feet up.

Here's a video of me doing a back kick.

YouTube - Doc Wong Diving Spiegel Grove Artificial Reef Key Largo Scub

Just keep practicing and you'll surprise yourself!

I first started trying kicking backwards with my Apollo Bio fins. Not that it is a surprise to anyone but I had no luck whatsoever. I bough a pair of Jetties and it took me exactly 15 minutes in the pool to get it done. I think major help were a videos I watched before I tried learning.

Here's one, linky. link2

Aarrggh...my back kick needs work...lots...guess this is one of the skills I will put on the list to start practicing again...along with the stage bottle...bags....reels...the list is endless.
Kirsten

I first started trying kicking backwards with my Apollo Bio fins. Not that it is a surprise to anyone but I had no luck whatsoever. I bough a pair of Jetties and it took me exactly 15 minutes in the pool to get it done. I think major help were a videos I watched before I tried learning.

Here's one, linky. link2

so everybody is writing about keeping your head up and than i watch both links and this guy's head is not up at all... the mystery of the back kick - to be continued.

Ha!! Cheers for the advice on practicing in the pool! Just tried that during lunch time today and it worked! Best thing was, I was able to do it very relaxed with no anxiety. It was a hoot seeing the quizzical faces around the pool. I swear the lifeguard was gonna whistle on me to stop fooling around, while the chap next to me was gonna tell me that I'm doing my breast stroke kicks all wrong! :lol:

Can't wait to try it out in the pool on Wed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom