Buying Regulators - Recommendations Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I am thinking of buying my first set of regulators. However, there are so many models in the market and I couldn't decide which one to buy. I am looking for top of the range and high performance model from one of these three brands i.e. Aqua Lung, Mares and ScubaPro. I had visited few dive shops in my city and was introduced to Aqua Lung's Legend LX, Mares' Abyss and ScubaPro's MX series. Still, I'm not sure. So can anyone recommend some models to me?

I dive in warm water most of the time but I wish my regulators to be able to use for cold water too. I also wish to buy a solid but low maintenance regulators without me sending the regulators for servicing all the time.

Please also let me know which brand have the most reliable gauge in the market.

Thank you very much. Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Take a look around. There is a ton of equipment out there. Don't feel that you have to limit yourself to what your local shop has in stock. I'm sure you will get plenty of recommendations from others here. I like Mares and Tusa personally. Browse a few online shops as well.

123scuba.com
scubatoy.com

Just a few ideas.

I went through this process a few years ago with the same requirements. I ended up with an Aqualung Legend and like it very much. However, since then I bought a reg for my daughter and got her a Titan. Over the last few years I have learned pretty much any major reg manfactured will service you well to recreational depths. Some might breath a bit better (balanced seconds) but all will do a good job. If I was going to buy a reg right now I would look at the Scubapro MK17 with one of their blanced seconds or the Legend if you are flush. For a really good value I would look at the Titan or Titan LX.

The criteria, in order of importance, for my purchase was: local quality service; stable manufacturer; suitable for winter/ice conditions; and, best value. I got Apeks ATX50s for both primary and secondary.

There is a lot of diving right after work where I live and a quick turn around can mean the difference between going or staying home; the local shop is also very helpful in suggesting dive sites, priceless. Get a brand that is going to be around for a while. I had to get new regs because the old Dacor's were no longer supported by the new Owner. A lot of other people were using Apecks and liked them so I went with the herd. No problems, or free-flows in 2 winter seasons and they breath fine. Regular maintenance parts are free for life and the design is supposed to be simple and easy to maintain.

If I had to buy again, I would consider getting set of ATX40s, because I never use the adjustmetns on the 50s, or an Aqua Lung Titan. I would also rent a set of Aqua Lung Calypso and try them in freezing conditions to see if they free flow, because they are rated as CE cold water regs. If they worked i would use them for the secondary. For the Apeks ask what the price of the hoses is, mine did not include them.

Good luck.

cs,

I am fairly new to diving (just last year) and I have tried numerous regs through rental gear. My favourite by far so far is the Atomic regs. They are the easiest breather I have used and I find them to be the dryest reg I have used. They cost a bit but they are really nice regs. It might just be something to check out! I know I'll be buying Atomic when I finally purchase a reg next year.

Good luck!

Mike

You can't go wrong if you go with anyone of the top of the line regs by Mares or ScubaPro.

Personally, I have exclusively used Mares regulators since the mid-nineties. Most recently, and since it came out, I have used the Mares Abyss. I have done lot's of extreme diving with the Abyss, including hardcore spearfishing and technical trimix dives in excess of 300 feet on wrecks in South Florida. Many years ago, I used to dive on air often in the 200 - 220 foot depth range with the Abyss, and it never even remotely felt like I had to suck the air out of it, quite the opposite in fact!

But like I said, if you go with the top of the line on either of those brands, you will not be dissappointed!

Safe Diving!

cs:
Hi there,

I am thinking of buying my first set of regulators. However, there are so many models in the market and I couldn't decide which one to buy. I am looking for top of the range and high performance model from one of these three brands i.e. Aqua Lung, Mares and ScubaPro. I had visited few dive shops in my city and was introduced to Aqua Lung's Legend LX, Mares' Abyss and ScubaPro's MX series. Still, I'm not sure. So can anyone recommend some models to me?

I dive in warm water most of the time but I wish my regulators to be able to use for cold water too. I also wish to buy a solid but low maintenance regulators without me sending the regulators for servicing all the time.

Please also let me know which brand have the most reliable gauge in the market.

Thank you very much. Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Scuba pro Mark 17/250 vintage or mark 25/250 vintage
Apex xtx 50, 200

these regs will just about do you in any situation.

As all divers I'm a bit subjective and will say I'm very happy what I'm diving.

SP MK17/G250V. Performance is very good... (but this is subjective)... and it should be a stellar coldwater reg but that's something that I'll see this winter.

It's also not the most expensive reg around... if that matters (does to me).

G250V is however quite a large 2nd stage (old school).

Regulators have gotten so good that everyone will tell you theirs is the best.

As for pressure gauges, get a big one. Look at the big Scubapro, or the all metal one from XS Scuba. There are a bunch of these "Made in Italy" that are a lot alike. I have something similar made by Beauchat, but I don't think it is made any more.

A good one can be shown to your buddy, so they can get your reading. That's harder to do with a mini-gauge or one with a stylized face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom