Poor Microsoft...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me ponder that question for just a moment------ Yes.

I've never been a big Microsoft fan but I thought with XP that things FINALLY seemed to be getting a bit better. Then came Vista and the return of the blue screen of death.

I think Vista has ended up with a rep it doesn't deserve, however I also don't think it does anything significantly better then XP and really there is no reason to change.

Note: I have been using Vista Ultimate at home since March, I got it b/c I am my family and friends go to guy for computer questions and with them all getting new computers I needed to practice. I disabled UAC first thing, and have not run into any problems others talk about. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but the ones I do I don't think are any greater then when XP first came out, specifically software incompatibility issues.

I think Vista has ended up with a rep it doesn't deserve, however I also don't think it does anything significantly better then XP and really there is no reason to change.

Note: I have been using Vista Ultimate at home since March, I got it b/c I am my family and friends go to guy for computer questions and with them all getting new computers I needed to practice. I disabled UAC first thing, and have not run into any problems others talk about. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but the ones I do I don't think are any greater then when XP first came out, specifically software incompatibility issues.

But at least with XP there was greater system stability over earlier versions of Windows, and for many (including myself) that was worth the cost in both software and possible hardware upgrades as well as the incompatibility risks.

As you said yourself, Vista doesn't make any significant improvements over XP (though I do appreciate being able to burn to DVD without a third party program), so why should someone endure those hassles for an arguably prettier interface, much of which is disabled unless you meet the relatively steep hardware requirements?

do you think it may be the beginning of a downward spiral for MS?

I don't think it will be a downard spiral, but it's certainly a blow to the company. One would have thought after Windows ME, that they would know better.

linux-penguin.png

Your absolutely right RonDawg, if somebody already has winxp there is no reason to upgrade. But for those looking for a new pc there is no reason to really be afraid of vista. Additionally im pretty sure windowblinds can get you very close to the visual updates of vista.

The problem is not that vista is bad its that XP was too good :D

as for Linux tc246: it rocks, but its not ready for mainstream users yet. I have enough headaches walking my friends and relatives thru setting up a printer in windows, I just don't wanna do it in Linux :p Also I personally am a huge pc gamer, and there just isn't enough native linux support to make it a real option for me yet, but im keeping an eye out and hoping.

Well, first, Vista is nothing more than Windows Millenium or Bob was when they were rolled out. It's was an interim release to generate more capital prior to the release of Longhorn. It is as problematic as all interim releases. It has gotten so bad that resellers have finally offered XP installations for users, because they were tired of all the complaints.

Re: The Penguin....Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

I have friends that have been using this version of Linux and have had flawless installations and no problems with the initial installs. I was running Fedora for a while, but there were all kinds of problems trying to get all the packages for any particular app. Unbuntu seems to have taken the mystery out of Linux and standard issues such as driver compatibility.

Gaming will still be developed for Microsoft because of the huge base. I've looked at some Linux based games and they are pretty lame and have poor graphics.

Ubuntu is an awesome step forward, but not quite there yet. Try updating your ati video drivers, or mounting a new hard disk later or even a new printer. These are basic things that your avg joe user does often enough that make linux not quite there yet, but they are getting very close.

as for games, all developers have to do is write for opengl instead of direct-X and then relase the code in linux packages, one can dream I guess :wink:

and as for people insisting on an install of xp, its not that vista is problematic (after disabeling UAC) its that reviewers have given it a very bad rep and new users are afraid to touch it with a 10 foot pole. For instance the most overblown part of Vista is its "DRM" system that not a single person I have heard of or seen has actually had an HD video not play due to DRM, yet people that I have talked to are terrified of it because of what some reviewer said might happen, including myself just before I started messing with it. Vista is very stable (unlike windows ME), desently fast if you have enough ram , and some cool interface changes.

my suggestion still stands if you have an older machine with xp don't upgrade, heck if you find a new computer with xp thats great, but dont' let vista be a deciding factor on whether or not you buy a particular pc.

Your absolutely right RonDawg, if somebody already has winxp there is no reason to upgrade. But for those looking for a new pc there is no reason to really be afraid of vista.

I wouldn't say that. I was at a customer site last week setting up his brand new HP computer that came with Vista. Explorer crashed no less than 5 times while I was configuring his network card. Thats just pathetic.

I am glad that Vista was released, because it will drive more people towards Apple and OS X.

and on the same note I set up 3 hp laptops in the last 2 months with no problems. I don't know what you were changing in the network card, but I was doing basic dns changes so they always have the same ip to the router, nothing big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom