Overseas HealthCare...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrabCake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going to Australia in November. What do you do for any medical emergencies that may arise? Is there some kind of visitor's healthcare you can purchase?

There is a traveler's insurance... You might get it from AAA as well.. It covers the medical cost while you are traveling..

Thanks Hoosier-I never thought about AAA. I've been a member for 6 years. I'm such a :dork2:

Check with your own health insurance, they may cover you overseas as well for emergencies, though you may have to pay out of pocket first and then request reimbursement.

I always purchase trip insurance w/emergency medical coverage for any trips outside the US and Canada. AAA's insurance is through Access America, who also sells policies independently via their website.

To the OP: if you are going to go diving in Australia and have any sort of medical condition that you suspect may cause you a problem on the boat's medical clearance form, play it safe and get a Dive Medical from an Australian doctor first. Australia is especially conservative with medical issues, for one thing they will not accept a sign-off or a prescription from a doctor outside the country.

Thanks for the tips !!

I used to do international medevacs and one of the more helpful things is to always have a ready access to your cash. Even an AmX credit line, etc, something that does not involve red tape if all the various insurances fail you.

Fast access to 20 K can become very important in remote foreign countries. Often, you may find fighting the insurance companies easier to do later.

I know this isn't exactly in the same vain but researching and preparing ahead of time for known threats can decrease your chances of an emergency. Go to the State Department's website and review the various hazards associated with the country you are going to....for instance when I would go to Africa or the Middle East I would prepare by getting various shots...and of course avoid certain foods. I also research ahead of time the locations of key logistics points such as hospitals, airports, the US Embassy, banks capable of international commerce, etc in the event the trip requires an emergency egress. Of course the only thing you'll need to worry about in Australia is having too good of a time...if that's possible.

-Dan

What about those baby eating dingos you guys are famous for?

oh yeah, i forgot aboot those... the ones of Fraser island (qld) have killed more kids than the one at Ayres Rock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom