Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usage of heart rate is a proxy for exertion - scaling to increased N2 loading...

No. Heart rate and breathing rate (SAC) have no correlation to N2 loading.

4 finally uwatec have the option to turn all audio alarms off

Thats great! Pay for a set of features then pay again for another feature to turn the first feature off :D

Kind of surprised it does not have a rear view camera.

I just dont get it..................

Thats great! Pay for a set of features then pay again for another feature to turn the first feature off :D

Have you never heard of user selectable options. Someone might want their computer to audibly warn them about something and someone else may prefer the option to have the computer silent for warnings (e.g. tank pressure reaches 100 Bar). With the SOL you can decide which warnings you want to hear and which you don't. Don't you think that choice is a good idea? (Of course, you can not switch off the alarms, for example if you are bypassing a required deco stop)

Are you sure about this? If during the deep part of the dive, the heart is pumping much faster than normal, then more dissolved N2 is reaching the tissues. If the heart rate is slow during the ascent, the flow of N2 back from the tissue to the lungs is slower. The SOL allows for this is their deco calculation. Are you saying this is wrong? Just a gimmick?

Regards
Peter

The only thing i would love it to have is the option to display at the end of the dive in its logbook (which is very good and informative) the average gas consumption in Liters per minute for the dive. You can see that on the PC only... But then again that is just a personal wish and as far as I know there is no AI computer in the world that does that. On the other hand the Galileo's software is user upgradable via IR so maybe that option will be added in the future. I think that Trimix is in UWATEC's pipeline to be added to the Galileo...

Send them an email with this suggestion, the SOL is a platform and i'm sure they would love to have these tricky features in there, all it requires is a default tank size input to it and your answer is there just like in Smartrak

Send them an email with this suggestion, the SOL is a platform and i'm sure they would love to have these tricky features in there, all it requires is a default tank size input to it and your answer is there just like in Smartrak

Do you (anyone?) have the email of the RIGHT person to send my suggestions at UWATEC?

Kind of surprised it does not have a rear view camera.

It is amazing how people nowadays want to force their point of view on others. Just because the features are not attractive to you, it doesn't mean that other people have to think like you think. In other words, you don't need to "get it". Why do people drive ferraris? Why do people fly first class? Why do people buy 60'' plasma TVs? Multi-million dollar houses? The list is endless.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not defending the Galileo, actually, I don't give a s#&t about it and would never buy a $2,000 recreational dive computer, as it is not the one for me (although, if it was a tech computer and had the functions of the VR3 I certainly would). What I am defending here is the right that people have to buy/like whatever they want (or can afford) and not have to keep justifying their choices...

It is amazing how people nowadays want to force their point of view on others.

Not forcing my point of view on anyone. Just voicing an opinion. (Which I understand is O.K even on Scubaboard unless it involves Sex,Politics,Religion,Iraq or DIR )

If this computer enhances someones diving experience then have at it.

What I am defending here is the right that people have to buy/like whatever they want (or can afford) and not have to keep justifying their choices...

I agree with you mostly except the statement above. Your point is contradictory.

To get something with whatever reason they have is another form of justfication.

Like you said, If Gaileo has the same or equivalent features like VR3, I love to get it without getting through any justfication process. It doesn't have the features that I want. But, it is still tempting to my wallet. I did get through same path when I got D9. There are a lot of reason to buy or not to buy. So, we are measuring each reason... It is the part of life, isn't it....

Are you sure about this? If during the deep part of the dive, the heart is pumping much faster than normal, then more dissolved N2 is reaching the tissues. If the heart rate is slow during the ascent, the flow of N2 back from the tissue to the lungs is slower. The SOL allows for this is their deco calculation. Are you saying this is wrong? Just a gimmick?

Regards
Peter

I have no reason to believe that either increased breathing or heart rate increases nitrogen loading. If you have any references to the contrary I would love to read them.

Even if there was a correlation how do you know that the computer is getting it correct ?

I am not arguing here for the sake of it. I just dont believe that Heart Rate is a factor in nitrogen loading,at least until someone shows otherwise.

I will agree that exertion on very deep dives (250 ft + ?? ) is a bad thing due to the number of nuclei it can create in the bloodstream (and possible CO2 buildup) but that is another discussion.

I have no reason to believe that either increased breathing or heart rate increases nitrogen loading. If you have any references to the contrary I would love to read them.

Even if there was a correlation how do you know that the computer is getting it correct ?

I am not arguing here for the sake of it. I just dont believe that Heart Rate is a factor in nitrogen loading,at least until someone shows otherwise.

I will agree that exertion on very deep dives (250 ft + ?? ) is a bad thing due to the number of nuclei it can create in the bloodstream (and possible CO2 buildup) but that is another discussion.

The sentiment here is spot on, but be careful about the language you use:

Given what little is known about nitrogen loading, being circumspect about the authoritative ability of a loading algorithm (including the implementation on a particular computer) is very well justified.

But... you don't believe heart rate is a factor in nitrogen loading? What you believe is of no consequence, since the question is a scientific one. Rather, as you make clear in other places, you have no strong evidence to convince you there is a causal link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom