Mac users: Which IrDA is Mac-friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Mislav. I'll continue searching and keep you posted, if I do find a solution.

IG-Dive

Please do, and vice versa.

I got this e-mail from Dirk Frobese, from the makers of JTrak software for Mac. It might help you with your search. I quote it in its entirety:

Hi,

we are sorry about the trouble. The problem is, that apple does not support any Irda, so we have to implement the driver by ourself. There are plenty of Irda USB sticks, so we are focused on the Chipsets KC-180 and Sigmatel 4210.
Ask the provider, what kind of chipset is build inside, or you can look in the "about" menu of OSX and have a look in the USB-entry of the Irda-USB device. There you find the name of the manufactor of the chipset. We stay in contact with Uwatec and they will provide a new Irda adapter, wich works with JTrak.

Regards,
Dirk

Posted elsewhere, but...

Found the UWATEC download kit on LeisurePro one night after trying another store-bought USB IRDA. For US$70, I feel exploited. (For US$79 you can get a new iPod Shuffle!) You get a 3 foot cable, the IR device (size of my pinky finger down to the second knuckle), and the mini-CD. One of the other IR devices I tried cost about $8 and included a cable. But it arrived today, and it was able to download my SmartCom.

The driver was not available on UWATEC's website. Using System Profiler the device shows up as a SigmaTel 4210.

Before the Uwatec model was availbale, I purchased a Belkin Brand IrDA adapter from Europe on Ebay. Apparently Belkin didn't sell them in the USA.
I have an inexpensive Ebay IrDA adapter that works in Windoze(Smart trak) but not Mac (J-Trak). However, I now use Smart Trak on my Mac with Boot Camp.

I've finally gotten hold of the original - Uwatec IrDa USB adapter and at last it works!

I've tested it on an Intel MacBook and PowerMac G4 and also iMac G4 and it works on all of them. JTrak is no match for SmarTrak, but it does transfer profiles...

Thanks Luiz, seems like a cheaper alternative to the original adapter without sacrificing any quality. Always nice to have such an option. :)

Back
Top Bottom