DiveMaster/LDS conflict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I went to my Divemaster orientation meeting several years ago I almost got up and walked out...almost. I was put off by the speakers comment "Working in a shop/instructing is like Amway, except you don't have to hide stuff before you show the plan". That left a real bad taste in my mouth. It reinforced all of the negative BS I've heard about the industry/shops as a whole. But after doing some more research I figured the class was worthwhile and I'd learn something. It was, I did and had a blast learning, diving and helping others. I got razzed every now and then about my BP/W setup. But I never gave in. I ended up buying an inexpensive BC for pool work and the owner was actually appreciative to that as he knows I won't change my mind about what gear I dive and my beliefs about gear/diving/training/instructing. I was told "now no talking about backplates and wings" while I was helping out/interning on the OW dives. I just smiled and went on. In any event I've been helping out the shop on and off for a few years now and I'm told I can dive whatever I want in OW. Go figure. I bought a little gear for pool work but I dive whatever I want for OW dives. For the most part the students don't notice or don't care what I dive. And I believe it has NOTHING to do with gear sales. The students are there to learn. I'm there to help out and learn myself. Don't take the "old school" shop mentality too seriously. Just do what you feel is right. As a volunteer you either take what I have to offer or go pound sand.

When I went to my Divemaster orientation meeting several years ago I almost got up and walked out...almost. I was put off by the speakers comment "Working in a shop/instructing is like Amway, except you don't have to hide stuff before you show the plan". That left a real bad taste in my mouth. It reinforced all of the negative BS I've heard about the industry/shops as a whole. But after doing some more research I figured the class was worthwhile and I'd learn something. It was, I did and had a blast learning, diving and helping others. I got razzed every now and then about my BP/W setup. But I never gave in. I ended up buying an inexpensive BC for pool work and the owner was actually appreciative to that as he knows I won't change my mind about what gear I dive and my beliefs about gear/diving/training/instructing. I was told "now no talking about backplates and wings" while I was helping out/interning on the OW dives. I just smiled and went on. In any event I've been helping out the shop on and off for a few years now and I'm told I can dive whatever I want in OW. Go figure. I bought a little gear for pool work but I dive whatever I want for OW dives. For the most part the students don't notice or don't care what I dive. And I believe it has NOTHING to do with gear sales. The students are there to learn. I'm there to help out and learn myself. Don't take the "old school" shop mentality too seriously. Just do what you feel is right. As a volunteer you either take what I have to offer or go pound sand.

Wow, talk about diggin up a old thread. Another week and it will be 4 years to the day of the last post :)

Oh wow! You know I saw Sept. but I DIDN'T see 2003!
And what happened to the "The last reply to this thread was........" header in red?
Oh well. Time for a coffee :)

sealkie has best reply I've read so far!!!!
it's "OK" for them to ask you to wear their gear to help their apparently fledgling sales...but it's better for you to wear what YOU are comfortable diving in so that you can focus on the job of DM...and who wants to wear some "used" rental gear?? Yuck. OK, if you are learning and haven't bought your own yet.

And as sealkie pointed out, it provides for excellent learning opportunities, because when you go out diving without your instructor, nobody wears the exact same gear...DUH. And being the girl that I am, it's a great shopping opportunity... :) C'mon...you know you agree...

So let me see if I get this right.

You think that people should come into your store, sign up for a class, pay you for that class, the end result of which is that (after paying for the class) they are then expected to provide you with free labor, AND buy gear you want them to shill for you at their expense? In other words, you expect them to not only work for free, but to shill for your store AND buy whatever you want them to shill to your future students?

Sounds like an unpaid internship at a university. Not particularly unusual.

Oh wow! You know I saw Sept. but I DIDN'T see 2003!
And what happened to the "The last reply to this thread was........" header in red?
Oh well. Time for a coffee :)

Damn, I didn't see that either.

Back
Top Bottom