Missing Toronto Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two divers are missing in the Toronto area. Here is a link:http://http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20070916/divers_missing_070916/20070916?hub=TorontoHome
and another one: http://www.thestar.com/News/article/257309 .
CTV Toronto

clock.gif
Sun. Sep. 16 2007 8:18 PM ET
160_cfto_boat_070916.jpg
A Niagara Police boat searches for the missing diver lost in the Welland river on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007.

p.gif
160_cfto_waiting_070916.jpg
A woman becomes emotional while waiting for word on divers missing in Welland River near Niagara Falls on Sept. 16, 2007.

Niagara rescue crews search for missing T.O. divers

toronto.ctv.ca
A massive search and rescue effort is underway after two Toronto divers went missing Sunday in the Niagara region.
Five experienced divers went into the Welland River, which is located two kilometers north of the Niagara River, on Sunday morning.
After battling strong currents, two divers were able to escape the treacherous waters and one diver had to be rescued.
Two other divers remain missing somewhere under the dark waters. According to friends, the two missing men have dived more than 100 times before, including in the Welland River.
The spot is known in diving circles as a popular location, but police have warned of the dangers in the past.
"This river is potentially dangerous because of the unpredictable waters. We are advising people not to use this river for recreation," Neal Orlando of the Niagara Regional Police told CTV News on Sunday.
The river feeds a nearby Ontario Hydro station, which contributes to changing and often ferociously strong currents.
"Right now the water is flowing in a different direction than normal because of some hydro work in another area. Now it's flowing towards Niagara Falls at this time," Andy Brzozowski, of the Niagara Falls Fire Service, told CTV News.
Fellow divers remain at the scene, including the wife of one of the missing men who also participated in the recreational dive.
With a report from CTV's Naomi Parness

Here are the links again:
http://www.640toronto.com/news/metro.cfm?cat=7428109912&rem=74763&red=80110923aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=metro.cfm

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/257309

The search for the 2 missing divers was unfortunately changed to a recovery mission this evening. It has stopped for the night and will resume tomorrow.

Here is the text:

Recovery Effort Underway For Missing Divers
Sep, 16 2007 - 8:10 PM

TORONTO/AM 640 TORONTO - The search for two missing divers became a recovery operation Sunday night as rescue crews lost hope the pair might still be found alive.
The two men were part of a five-person dive group from Toronto that set out from the Kings Bridge Park area in Niagara Falls Sunday morning.

At around 9:30 a.m., a passerby spotted one of the divers struggling in the water near the intersection of the Niagara and Welland rivers and called emergency crews.

The male diver was rescued by firefighters and said the current in the water had picked up and separated the group of divers as they tried to make their way up the Welland River.

Two other divers, a man and a woman, were located on a nearby shore.

They told rescuers their last point of contact with the two missing divers was near a sluice operated by the Ontario Power Generation.

2 GTA divers missing in Welland River presumed dead

Sep 16, 2007 09:27 PM
Rachel De Lazzer
Staff Reporter
Two GTA divers who disappeared in the Welland River this morning are presumed dead after an exhaustive search has yet to find any signs of life.
The recreational diving group, all from Toronto, was swimming in the Kingsbridge Park area, near the intersection of the Niagara River and Welland River, around 9:30 a.m. when the group became separated as the divers struggled against the current, say Niagara Regional Police.

Fire crews rescued one diver where the river intersects the Welland River. He told his rescuers about the treacherous water conditions, prompting emergency crews to start a search for the four other divers. A man and woman were located and brought but two additional divers remain missing. Police divers were still on the scene late Sunday night.

A joint search operation is still continuing for the divers, both in their 30s. No names have been released.

“They are experienced divers and were well-equipped,” said Const. Neal Orlando with Niagara police. “One of the divers was getting his certification as a diver master. As far as diving in the river, I know they have been out here before but I don’t think too many times.”

A wife of one of the missing men was part of the five-person team and helped in the underwater search.

Although the water there is usually flowing west away from Niagara Falls, the Ontario Power Generation controls the flow of the water in that area and, “did have an operation going today,” where the direction of the water may have been changed.

With files from Canadian Press

Thoughts and prayers to all. I hope for the best for our fellow Torontonians. :(

I wonder if they were aware that the water was flowing in a different direction than usual. Is the unpredictability of the currents part of the reason that it is a popular spot to dive?

No, this is an extremely unusual occurrence. The current has only been known to flow one way - away from Niagara Falls. The issues yesterday arise from some changes made while work was being done to examine erosion in the Ontario Hydro Canal.

This dive is usually an easy drift dive, fun and warmer than most water around here.

The recovery mission has been suspended for the evening.

I agree with ayisha, not a normal current , our best wishes to the family members of
the missing divers. Even a easy dive can turn into a unsafe situation, lets all stay up to date and trained for the dives we do!

One of the men missing is the next door neighbor of my parents. He has 2 young sons and was a high school teacher. Please pray for the family.

This was the last information tonight that I'm aware of from http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_14820.aspx

CityNews:
Search Mission For Missing Divers In Welland River Becomes One Of Recovery
Monday September 17, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
A Toronto-area teacher is among two G.T.A. men who are presumed to have drowned after an ill-fated recreational diving expedition in the Welland River near Niagara Falls. The two missing men were part of a team of five experienced divers who entered the water at Kingsbridge Park at around 9am Sunday. They soon became separated from the rest of the group, and despite extensive searches by the Niagara Marine Unit, they haven't been seen since.

Both are now presumed dead, transforming a once-hopeful rescue mission into a grim recovery job after nearly two unsuccessful days of combing the murky water.

"Divers are going to work as long as they possibly can I'm sure to make that recovery happen," said Niagara Regional Police Const. Sal Basilone.

The two divers have been identified as Mike Ford, a father and teacher from Etobicoke, and Perry Clelland a father from Brampton.

The trouble apparently began after Ontario Power Generation conducted an operation that caused extreme changes in the water current.

Two of the five men surfaced and made it to shore, while another was rescued from the water. CityNews spoke to one of the survivors.

"I'm just in disbelief and shock," said Ed, who didn't want his last name used. I thought they just ran out of air and surfaced along the shoreline, but they weren't quite as lucky."

The Marine Unit is planning to continue combing the waters until Monday night. It's still not clear whether the search will continue on Tuesday.

I hope they do continue searching tomorrow for the peace of mind of the families and friends.

"I wonder if they were aware that the water was flowing in a different direction than usual. Is the unpredictability of the currents part of the reason that it is a popular spot to dive?"

I don't think so - Chippewa steadily siphons out of the Niagara River and from the maps I just looked at, fills the reservoir in Niagara Falls.

That is terribly bad luck and my heart goes out to those men's families.

Both Ontario Diver and I have been watching this and it is so sad. Please, if anyone knows their families pass on our condolances. It is always a tragedy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom