Computer Anti-virus Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks.... I just abadon Norton and moved to AVG..... But, it doesn't come with a spyware protection....

I use Kaspersky which for the most part I've been pretty happy with. The only problem I've encountered is that on my Vista desktop, for some reason it will occasionally turn itself off. At least Windows will notify me when this is the case. Because of this I no longer leave my email program open unattended on that machine. I don't have this problem with my XP laptop so I'm guessing it's yet another Vista issue.

Kaspersky is a bit pricey but if you look around you can often get it on sale. Fry's has a sale that makes it free after Mail In Rebate and Upgrade Rebate.

Thanks.... I just abadon Norton and moved to AVG..... But, it doesn't come with a spyware protection....
Spybot search & destroy

I used to use AVG and it's good.

Now I use NOD32 and it's better. It uses very few system resources and is constantly kept updated. It's not free though, but $40/year isn't any great hardship.

AVG does have a spyware program, but it's awful. It uses huge amounts of resources a really slows a machine down. Spybot is much better.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back :D

And of course, you cant expect anything better from a Mac user...
When someone ask for antivirus for their current computer, why the hell does Mac users have to say "get a mac"? Its totally beyond the scope of the question at hand. Its not like changing your entire computer is a cost-effective solution to a quite simple problem.. Not that its actually a viable option either for a lot of users since Mac does NOT support many of the things PC users want or need to use.
:no

Sure, linux dont support all of it either, but atleast it runs the same HARDWARE...

I just saw you asked about security as well....

Have a look at the Comodo firewall - it's free, and really excellent.

You'll need to read the instructions on this one as it's VERY powerful and a little intimidating for a casual computer user. It really is good though.

All my computers run NOD32, Comodo, and Spybot as resident processes (actually, plus a router which acts as another hardware firewall - I take my privacy and safety quite seriously!). I haven't had a virus or succesful hacking attack in years........that I know about!!!!! (but what you don't know you don't lose sleep over...right? :D)

I did, one mac was more then enough. If I wanted a crippled OS I'd have stuck with windoze 3.1 :rofl3:

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom