Looking for some help with my boat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read all the posts and I'll throw in my .02 cents as I've been an outboard mechanic for thirty plus years.
By reading in between the lines it sounds like you have run across the proverbial "parts changer". They replaced the flywheel (and most likely the stator) because they assumed the end result of damage was by the flywheel magnets coming loose, but they didn't take it to the next step by determing 'why'. Way too many small boat repair shops assume too quickly and don't take into account other probable causes.
It sounds like to me your upper bearing has been failing all along. This could have been caused by a number of reasons: water intrusion, bearing fretting, fractured main journal, improper propellor selection, out of balance harmonics and the list goes on. An experienced mechanic would have just grabbed the cranckshaft and shook it, and noticed the excessive radial play in the shaft.(This is what caused the interference between the flywheel and the stator in the first place) The mechanic surely would have noticed something funny going on while trying to torque the flywheel nut down. Unfortunately commission based mechanics are notorious for flying through diagnostics and missing the real source of the problem. Judging by the amount of time you drove the boat in between repairs, I would almost bet a compression check would have shown this problem at the time of purchase. The bearings, or fragments of bearings most likely would have done some damage to the cylinders at that time and would shown a drop in compression on the #1 cylinder. Maybe thats one of the reasons the owner wanted to get rid of the boat in the first place and was so happy to pay for half the repairs (but this is only speculation)
Anyway, good luck with your motor repair and the search for a good technician. A good mechanic is worth his/her weight in gold.
WB

Have You Done A Compression Check On The Engine . And Can They Prove To You The " Bent Parts " .Sounds To Me It Runs Perfect When The Engine Is Cold And When Warms Up It Looses Power ? To Me It Sounds Like A Compression Problem . Sounds To Me Like Rings Or A Bad Head Gasket . If You Had A So Called Bent Part You Would Feel Or Hear A Virbration . I AGREE YOU DID COME ACROSS A BAD SHOP. IF IT WAS ME I WOULD RASIE SOME STINK TO THE SERVICE MANAGER. THEN IF THAT DIDNT WORK I WOULD ASK TO TALK TO THE OWNER OF THE SHOP AND DISCUSS THE ISSUE. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE AND IF NOT WRITE HIM A CHECK . GET YOUR BOAT HOME AND THEN CANCELL YOUR CHECK . WHEN HE PURSES YOU TELL HIM TO SEE YOU IN COURT .

sorry to here about all thats happen, i used to work for a boat,
repair place in seffner, brandon area, called Power source marine,
there number is 813-684-9547. might be a little far from you
but worth the call ask for bruce the owner, he is a very honest
and trust worthy. mike

wass up took a little while but im getting it. i have been looking
around these guys, and gals seem pretty cool, i just wish that it
hasnt been so long since ive been in the water.

mike

I've read all the posts and I'll throw in my .02 cents as I've been an outboard mechanic for thirty plus years.
By reading in between the lines it sounds like you have run across the proverbial "parts changer". They replaced the flywheel (and most likely the stator) because they assumed the end result of damage was by the flywheel magnets coming loose, but they didn't take it to the next step by determing 'why'. Way too many small boat repair shops assume too quickly and don't take into account other probable causes.
It sounds like to me your upper bearing has been failing all along. This could have been caused by a number of reasons: water intrusion, bearing fretting, fractured main journal, improper propellor selection, out of balance harmonics and the list goes on. An experienced mechanic would have just grabbed the cranckshaft and shook it, and noticed the excessive radial play in the shaft.(This is what caused the interference between the flywheel and the stator in the first place) The mechanic surely would have noticed something funny going on while trying to torque the flywheel nut down. Unfortunately commission based mechanics are notorious for flying through diagnostics and missing the real source of the problem. Judging by the amount of time you drove the boat in between repairs, I would almost bet a compression check would have shown this problem at the time of purchase. The bearings, or fragments of bearings most likely would have done some damage to the cylinders at that time and would shown a drop in compression on the #1 cylinder. Maybe thats one of the reasons the owner wanted to get rid of the boat in the first place and was so happy to pay for half the repairs (but this is only speculation)
Anyway, good luck with your motor repair and the search for a good technician. A good mechanic is worth his/her weight in gold.
WB

The funny thing is, that this same shop did a compression, spark, and fuel system check before I bought the boat. I've got the invoice and receipts from that. It was done the day before I picked up the boat. I'm really starting to get frustrated with this shop.

Looking at the pictures, there was a major water intrusion issue. The top of first crank journal (the big, flat piece that the end of the crank comes out of) should NOT be rusty. That is an oiled part, with the oil coming from the fuel or VRO system. If the bearing was also dry/rusted, it could have grenaded as well. Has anyone pulled a head yet to see if there is damage to any of the cylinders...and if so, to what extent?

I would recommend you get on http://www.screamandfly.com - a VERY helpful, almost exclusive outboard performance boater website. There are many guru's on there, a lot of which are in FL. You can find a replacement powerhead for that motor for under $2k easily.

Good luck. I feel you too. I own two outboard powered boats and have been through the learning curve with them. Both are considered "hot rods", so this kind of thing is considered part of the course. My Scarab has twin Johnson V8 engines, the big brother to your V6 there. :)

Looking at the pictures, there was a major water intrusion issue. The top of first crank journal (the big, flat piece that the end of the crank comes out of) should NOT be rusty. That is an oiled part, with the oil coming from the fuel or VRO system. If the bearing was also dry/rusted, it could have grenaded as well. Has anyone pulled a head yet to see if there is damage to any of the cylinders...and if so, to what extent?

I would recommend you get on http://www.screamandfly.com - a VERY helpful, almost exclusive outboard performance boater website. There are many guru's on there, a lot of which are in FL. You can find a replacement powerhead for that motor for under $2k easily.

Good luck. I feel you too. I own two outboard powered boats and have been through the learning curve with them. Both are considered "hot rods", so this kind of thing is considered part of the course. My Scarab has twin Johnson V8 engines, the big brother to your V6 there. :)

Thanks. I'm gonna jump on that site in just a minute. I've got a lead on a rebuilt powerhead right now for $2k w/warranty. I'm gonna keep looking and see what else I can find. Then comes the fun part of trying to figure out how this thing goes back together. haha. Again, thanks for the help and advice. I really appreciate it.

However, when the previous owner stated, "The motor runs great, This boat needs nothing, he gave an implied/expressed verbal warranty. Therefore, he has misrepresented the condition of the boat and motor. In this case though, I'm just as pissed at the shop. They have jerked me around and done nothing but take my money and give me back a broken boat and a box of parts that go to it. I now have to try and fix what I paid them to fix in the first place plus all the new damage.

This thread was asking for help with my boat and I don't mean to be an ***, but I don't need anymore kicks to the nuts. So, please try to provide help and not "20/20 hindsight" and sarcasm. Thanks.

Fair enuf!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom