What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new boat--wow---I bet your beside yourself having to wait and with winter coming too. When you get it put up some pics. And, yes, a Whaler is a better boat than a Bayliner--now--are you happy :). You said you were going to get a new boat some time back, congratulations. Hey, I bet it is better than a Bayliner don't you think? I bet it is more seaworthy and comfortable too.

N

I have been partial to the West Coast boats for some time. I wanted a fully enclosed stand-up pilot house cruiser with either twin outboards or a single inboard diesel. I could not find the cabin layout I wanted with a single inboard diesel so I went with the next best thing. I'm really partial to two engines too. The ride of a catamaran cannot be found in any monohull I have used. At WOT we can talk at normal levels in the cabin.

I will never doubt the value of a Bayliner. Mine was a tank for 8 hard seasons. I wanted a configuration Bayliner did not offer.

--Matt

Of the 7 boats I have owned over the last 40+ years the 1967 31' Bertram Tiger Shark I ran charters with was my favorite, I wish I still had it. My current boat is a 1977 22' Chris Craft that I recently restored.

Attachments

• My charter boat Tiger Shark 1986 (Small).JPG
    My charter boat Tiger Shark 1986 (Small).JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 126
  • My current boat.JPG
    My current boat.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 118
Of the 7 boats I have owned over the last 40+ years the 1967 31' Bertram Tiger Shark I ran charters with was my favorite, I wish I still had it. My current boat is a 1977 22' Chris Craft that I recently restored.
Had a 28' 1972 Bertram I wish I still had as well. Great boat in any weather. Bought it as a repo - put $5.00 worth of parts in it and turned it from a boat that would barely run to running perfectly. Had the wrong gasket between carbs and intake manifold. Once we cleaned up a couple of years of grime from everything on the exterior we had a perfect boat for diving/fishing/cruising.

Had a 28' 1972 Bertram I wish I still had as well. Great boat in any weather. Bought it as a repo - put $5.00 worth of parts in it and turned it from a boat that would barely run to running perfectly. Had the wrong gasket between carbs and intake manifold. Once we cleaned up a couple of years of grime from everything on the exterior we had a perfect boat for diving/fishing/cruising.

A few 28 Berts I have been looking at lately have been tempting me. As the wife knows how to use a 45 Colt automatic I think tempted is as far as I might get.

:shakehead:It was an ex-wife that made me sell it

22GuardianSML.jpg

My new boat above, it came with some really mean guys. Keeps the jet skis off of me and my wife. In fact, I have no trouble getting a dive site all to myself. Seriously, it is funny, people see us in our little boat and from a distance they think we are the water patrol and suddenly beer goes away and people behave until they realize we are not the water patrol. Just one of the many benifits of ownership.

The boat I like best is Captains, what a beautiful boat, EastEnd, yours too.

I like the idea of a door in the side or like EastEnd in the stern.

125-Boston_Whaler_Guardian_22_.jpg

The 50 cal really adds to the operating cost but is an effective deterrant to Bayliners.

default.jpg

I would get a bigger boat but it takes quite an effort to get this little one in the garage being as the Kubota does not want to give up it's place in the shop. You don't mess with the 'bota, it has a bite and could tear the Whaler in half with one swipe, well, at least it would still float.

DSCF0260.jpg

The boat pictured below is a beautifully restored classic SeaCraft from the 70s. I got that pic from classicseacraft.com. These boats can often be found cheap and make a great restoration with a unique look and long history and obviously this fellow dives from his.

0001.jpg

N

I really like the 31 Bertram Flybridge Cruiser's. I used to fish with a guy that had one and I would maintain the boat for him when he was up North for the winters. It's a great offshore fishing boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom