Blackbeards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longstocking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm right now looking for a hotel near where blackbeard's docks. We don't want anything too pricey... but don't want a dump either.... since we don't plan on spending our vacation in the dang hotel. Just need the hotel for 2 nights ( figured we'd check out the island a bit while we are down there ). We'd like it close enough to be walking distance or at least be able to take the bus.

Anyone have any suggestions?

What boat of Blackbeard's are you going on? They have the Aquacat and Cat Ppalu in Nassau, and their sloops in Freeport. When I did a trip aboard the Cat Ppalu, we stayed at the Nassau HArbor Club & Marina, where the Cat was moored.
Check Blackbeard's site, as they have links to hotels they recommend close to where their boats are.
Good luck and enjoy your trip.
C-Dawg

We are going to be on the cheapo boats ( Haven't asked which one yet... The 65' Pirate's Lady, Morning Star or the Sea Explorer ) .... in freeport. I already checked out their links... the only one that looks likes it's a good location and isn't a dump is the Pelican Bay at Lucaya.

Anybody know of a better hotel or any insite on that hotel?

I stayed at Flamingo Bay in June and it was $70 per night, clean and nice enough. Not 5 star but all I did was sleep and shower there anyway. It's in the water park and you have access to the wonderful pool, there's a great place to eat there and cool bar you can swim into. The water taxi parks right behind the hotel and takes you all around Freeport and back, runs every hour.

Here's the info on it:
Flamingo Bay Hotel
(800) 824-6623 Reservations
(242) 373-5640 Hotel
info@timetravelcorp.com
info@flamingobayhotel.com

Flamingo Bay Hotel adorned by the beautiful emerald green Bell Channel Waterway, is part of three Taino Beach Resort & Clubs properties on Grand Bahama Island. Standard features include king size beds in single occupancy rooms and two full size beds in double occupancy rooms. All rooms have full service kitchenettes, cable televisions, telephones, hair dryers and ironing boards (irons available upon request). Adjoining rooms are also available. Group rates available. Mention Blackbeard's Cruises to get a reduced rate!

I stayed at the Flamingo Bay a couple of weeks ago. The place was in good shape and clean. The folks were friendly and very helpful. I don't know of anything more convenient for Blackbeard's.

I would not hesitate to use the place again. The beach is across the road but a great place to relax and unwind.

We stayed at Granny's Bahamas Vacation Place back in Feb:
http://www.grannysbahamasvacation.com/
or you can see more local hotels at:
http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/freeport-hotels.html

Granny's was about 70 per night. The owners, Terri & Dorothy Goldsmith will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at Blackbeard's the next day. They were very nice people and the accommodations were decent. From there, you can take a short walk and catch the boat taxi that runs into Port Lacaya and venture out from there. I think the boat ride costs 5 bucks each way but rumor has it that if you tell the guy you're staying at Granny's they will let it slide. Blackbeard's, now that was a blast. If I could offer any good advice… don't take much because you won't have room for it. We were on the Pirate's Lady but all three sloops are the same size so no matter which one you get, space will be at a premium down below.

Have a great trip - I know I did.

Fred

I won't take much at all ! I pretty much live on a boat every weekend in Maryland... so I know you don't need much ! The only part I'm concerned about is the clothes I will need after the trip while still in the Bahama's. Is there a place to leave extra clothes etc back at the docks while on the trip?

I won't take much at all ! I pretty much live on a boat every weekend in Maryland... so I know you don't need much ! The only part I'm concerned about is the clothes I will need after the trip while still in the Bahama's. Is there a place to leave extra clothes etc back at the docks while on the trip?

Yes. When you board, they will have you unpack and they store your suit cases and whatever you want to leave behind. My guess is they probably store more than they take out to sea once people see how little space they really get down below when unpacking. I took along a drybag and left small items up on deck with my dive gear. You might also consider a cushion to sit on. Those seats get hard and uncomfortable after a week out at sea. We also took some spring-loaded woodworking clamps to hang our wet gear and clothes over the side of the boat.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/springClamps.htm

One of the guys on our trip also posted a bunch of pics from our trip if you're interested: http://sotorn.com/html/blackbeard_2007.html

Have a great trip!

Fred

Thanks for posting that link... great pictures. More room than I have normally up here ! We booked the hotel already. Now I'm wondering how cold it's going to be in 2 weeks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom