Looking for some help with my boat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me get this straight you buy a used boat and the the previous owner out of the goodness of his heart takes on half your mechanics bills??? I would have asked you one question as the previous owner, "If the motor siezed up the day before you bought it would you split the bill with me!!!!!!" AS IS IS AS IS.

Let me get this straight you buy a used boat and the the previous owner out of the goodness of his heart takes on half your mechanics bills??? I would have asked you one question as the previous owner, "If the motor siezed up the day before you bought it would you split the bill with me!!!!!!" AS IS IS AS IS.

However, when the previous owner stated, "The motor runs great, This boat needs nothing, he gave an implied/expressed verbal warranty. Therefore, he has misrepresented the condition of the boat and motor. In this case though, I'm just as pissed at the shop. They have jerked me around and done nothing but take my money and give me back a broken boat and a box of parts that go to it. I now have to try and fix what I paid them to fix in the first place plus all the new damage.

This thread was asking for help with my boat and I don't mean to be an ***, but I don't need anymore kicks to the nuts. So, please try to provide help and not "20/20 hindsight" and sarcasm. Thanks.

Well, I went and picked up my boat today. Here is the final conclusion. After installing two different flywheels, the upper bearing EXPLODED while the shop took the boat for a test ride. The fragments from the upper bearing wound up in the #1 cylinder. The crank is FUBAR'd and there are fragments of the bearing everwyhere. I'm going to try and attach pics of the damage. Then to make matters worse, the shop hands me a box of parts that go on the motor. Now, I'm supposed to figure out where every nut and bolt goes when I didn't see it come apart. Hopefully, over the next couple of days/weeks, I can figure this mess out and get it into the water.

Thanks again for all the help and listening to me vent.

Thanks.
J.R.

Maybe just save the problems and buy a rebuilt Power head. Might save you a lot of time and money...

As to the orginal problem. To fire the plugs there is a optical sensor that is triggered by holes in the timing wheel. If this sensor has any play it can miss the marks on the timing wheel and not fire the plugs correctly. A simple test is when the boat is acting up just pick up on the back of the sensor a little and see if it runs fine. That is what happened to my boat. After taking it to several mech. and them not being able to find the problem light alone resolve it I ended up having to remove some material from the bottom of the timing wheel and never had the problem again.

Maybe just save the problems and buy a rebuilt Power head. Might save you a lot of time and money...

As to the orginal problem. To fire the plugs there is a optical sensor that is triggered by holes in the timing wheel. If this sensor has any play it can miss the marks on the timing wheel and not fire the plugs correctly. A simple test is when the boat is acting up just pick up on the back of the sensor a little and see if it runs fine. That is what happened to my boat. After taking it to several mech. and them not being able to find the problem light alone resolve it I ended up having to remove some material from the bottom of the timing wheel and never had the problem again.

I'm in the process of trying to find a used power head as we speak. Hopefully, I can find one for a decent price. I guess I need to offer some sort of finders fee...like free dives off the boat once it is up and running.

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely remember that when I get it back together.

First of all, I can't imagine how a flywheel or a trim tab motor could cause the engine to lose power the first time around. Are you sure that the fuel tank is vented?

I've checked it over and all is in order. They told me the inner seals in the flywheel exploded and then it failed to advance the timing. I have very little marine mechanic knowledge, so please bear with me.

I've checked it over and all is in order. They told me the inner seals in the flywheel exploded and then it failed to advance the timing. I have very little marine mechanic knowledge, so please bear with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cracking on you... I'm just questioning the validity of the mechanics diagnosis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cracking on you... I'm just questioning the validity of the mechanics diagnosis.

No, I appreciate the help. That is why I started this thread. I was looking to get some advice from people who know something about Marine mechanics. The shop I went to seem like a bunch of morons. I am not happy with them to say the least. In case somebody missed it, SouthEastern Marine in St Pete. Stay away from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom