Taka Dive: Cod Hole / NGBR or Cod Hole / Coral Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

Traveling to Australia in mid-November and doing first things first, so looking for some advice on which of these two dive trips to take. I had looked at Mike Ball and SoF as well, but Taka fit our schedule best and had availability. Apart from the extra day == more dives == good stuff, is there something to recommend one of these two over the other?

If it helps, as for me/my wife, we're newer divers, will probably have < 20 dives at that point, but with AOW/Nitrox certs.

Thanks for any opinions...

--Austin

I would definitely go the Cod Hole/Coral Sea itinerary that takes you to Osprey Reef. Its a long trip but the diving is extraordinary, the shark feed is fascinating. We like the Ribbon Reefs but Osprey Reef is awesome!

Jennifer

Coral Sea (Osprey Reef)/Cod Hole are must do's!

Most of the dives are very easy with a few being deep, not much in the way of currents and November is the best time to be there. The weather is very warm, the winds are usually calm and the diving superb.

The jelly fish are all in shore so when at the outer reef's or in the Coral Sea you do not have to worry about them.

We dove there 2 years ago in November and the coral was spawning - now that is a great dive:)

Cheers

-s

I did the Taka 4 night trip (Coral Sea / Osprey) back in June. If you can fit the Coral Sea trip from any of the three companies you are looking at, you should do it. The Ribbon Reefs are great, but the combination of the North part of the reef and the Coral sea is worth it, especially when you take into account the travel time from TX :)

G'Day Austin Mills,

I believe that Mike Ball & Spirit of Freedom offer a low level flight back from Lizard Island. The flight is brilliant in itself, but it actually has 2 advantages.

1= Cool Low level flight down the Ribbon Reefs to see where you have been diving the last few days, + Picture Postcard views of turquoise waters.

2= You can dive the better sites (Osprey Reef) more because you dont need to be on the boat on the way back.:eyebrow: So even though you get an extra day on board, it isnt going to be out at Osprey.

Mike Ball & Spirit of Freedom go to Osprey and offer the low level flight! And i must agree with Gilless! The Cod Hole and Osprey will blow your mind! Every dive! Loads of everything, and big stuff! Hammerheads, Sharks, sharks, sharks, sharks, oh, and mroe sharks. The Cods at the Code Hole let you get inches from there faces and just dont care that you are there. It truly is brilliant!

I just took a group of my club divers on Mike Ball about 2 months ago, I did 15 dives on the trip. Nitrox was available for a single low rate as an entire trip purchase, which i think is a great idea! Mike Ball and Spirit off Freedom are for sure the more quality vessels on the Reef.

Here is a copy of post i did for the same question....
-------------------------------------------------------------
I have dived all over the reef and I just came back from Osprey&#8230;..
It is awesome! Massive fish, Lots & Lots of fish + Sharks, and very clear water! Oh,+ Mantas!

The Ribbon Reefs have sections that are great, but I think it might be the excitement of actually travelling out to the best part of the reef that makes Osprey even better! When you get there you are just busting to jump in!

Also, some operators offer shark attraction dives at Osprey. We had around 50+ Sharks. Seen Hammer Heads, Silver Tips, Grey Reefs, and white and Black tips. + a few smaller species. Can&#8217;t complain at all.

I always recommend Mike Ball. I send a lot of people there every month, and have &#8216;never&#8217; had a bad report back! You might spend a few more hundred Ozzy dollars but the service is second to none, the food is brilliant and the dive deck is perfect. Mike Ball is without a doubt the best live-a-board on the reef. As I said earlier, I just got back from taking my Dive Club aboard, and it is extremely professional. I did 15 dives in 3 days! It was run like clockwork.

There are others that are still good though.
eyebrow.gif

As well as Taka &#8211; For a little cheaper extended trips as well.
Deep Sea divers den &#8211; for shorter / cheaper trips.

Let me know if you want any more specifics or more info about certain operations. We have a lot of experience working with most of the operators on the Great Barrier Reef, and would be more than happy to offer information about our experience to you.
03.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope it all helps you out!

Yours truly,
Carl Fallon
14.gif

Back
Top Bottom