type of fins for easy cramping legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey --

I'm in no way anti-force fins. I love my pair of ff adjustables. Love them.

That's why I'm giving the mor-fins a shot too. If it works, well and makes sense, I'll give it a shot.

By the way -- those ouf you who want big-***** split fins -- when was the last time you saw a goldfish swim faster than a pelagic?

TO answer your question - Mares Volos. Less effort when flutter kicking. However a draw back is if you do a frog kick, they are usless.

Here is a typical workout I would recommend you do. Aside from the pool work. Calf raises and lunges. Also running, fast walking, biking or roller blading. You will do wonders for your diving.

Calf raises: 3 sets of 12- 15 reps.
Lunges: 3 sets of 15 reps.
Biking, running, fast walking or roller blading. At least 30 minutes to an hour. Three times a week.

happy diving!

Yes, more of the same: potassium, exercise, stretching, frog kicks, and Force Fins. Split fins have less resistance than regular fins, but Force Fins hold on to your foot higher up, further away from your toes, and that seems to help.

I never knew that it was bad luck to bring a banana onto a boat!

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
Don’t try to bring a banana on a boat as many folks are superstitious about them.

OK, I have to ask....what kind of banana superstition is there? I have never heard of this. Two weeks ago the charter I was on had bananas as part of the SI snack.

Exercise-finning practice-finning style.

I had a problem with leg cramps a while ago and did a lot of research on the cause of cramps and what to do about them. Contrary to common wisdom, I could not find any scientific evidence that eating bananas or drinking potassium rich juices had any benefit. Eating more potassium won't hurt, but it probably won't help, either. I know people believe it, but I couldn't find any science to back it up. There was a lot of anecdotal data, but nothing I would consider scientific.

As I recall (and I am not going back to my research here to chedk) there seemed to be some evidence that being well hydrated helped a little but it wasn't a silver bullet. At any rate, divers should be hydrated anyway.

So, what's a diver to do?

I spoke with doctors, physical therapists and nutritionists and learned that stretching the calf muscles is the best defense against cramps. I did two different stretches; lean against a wall, facing the wall. Put one leg in front of the other, bend both knees then straighten out the back leg until you feel the calf muscle stretch. Do that for about 30 seconds. Reverse and do the other leg.

Next, same initial position, then with both feet flat on the floor, bend both knees dropping down a bit --I find this the tougher one, especially on the ankles.

Repeat a few times a day --I did and stopped cramping up.

As for your original question about fins; again, a lot of anecdotal information but very little actual scientific data. Splits are reputed to reduce cramping. That is probably true as long as you don't need a lot of power, such as kicking to get on a boat or trying to fin hard in an emergency --then splits are not rigid enough and you are more likely to get a cramp (or at least I am) because you "overkick" the fin.

Jets or blade fins are more rigid to begin with, frog kicking with them takes some conditioning and even with a flutter kick you will be more likely to cramp, theoretically --but if you need some power it is there and you won't overkick your fin. With conditioning you can beat the cramp problem.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

robertarak:
OK, I have to ask....what kind of banana superstition is there? I have never heard of this. Two weeks ago the charter I was on had bananas as part of the SI snack.

http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm

I have eaten many a banana on a boat, but it freaks some people out.

From Seward Fishing Adventures
http://www.sewardadventurecharters.com/fishing_rates.htm

We will be fishing for Salmon on this charter. Be sure to bring a lunch or snack and drinks. Please do not bring
any bananas as they are considered bad luck. We will provide all tackle and bait and we will filet any fish that you catch.

Just do a google search and type in "why is it bad luck to bring a banana on a boat" and you will get pages of results.

Oh here is another one:
http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/superstition_sea_fishermen/
Bananas are a mainstay of most cultures and are the world’s most popular fruit. However, these deliciously yellow treats have no place at sea. Since the 1700’s, it has been widely believed that having a banana on board was an omen of disaster.

In the early 1700’s, during the height of the Spanish’s South Atlantic and Caribbean trading empire, it was observed that nearly every ship that disappeared at sea and did not make its destination was carrying a cargo of bananas. This gave rise to the belief that hauling bananas was a dangerous prospect. There are other documented origins to this superstition as well.

Another explanation for the banana superstition is that the fastest sailing ships used to carry bananas from the tropics to U.S. ports along the East Coast to land the bananas before they could spoil,” Chahoc said. “The banana boats were so fast that fishermen never caught anything while trolling for fish from them, and that’s where the superstition got started.

Another theory is that bananas carried aboard slave ships fermented and gave off methane gas, which would be trapped below deck. Anyone in the hold, including cargoes of imprisoned humanity, would succumb to the poisoned air, and anyone trying to climb down into the hold to help them would fall prey to the dangerous gas.

And finally, one of the better known dangers of bananas at sea, is that a species of spider with a lethal bite likes to hide in bunches of bananas. Crewmen suddenly dying of spider bites after bananas are brought aboard certainly would be considered a bad omen resulting in the cargo being tossed into the sea.

Any of these scenarios could be the reason behind fishermen’s mistrust of the yellow fruit, possibly all of them. Whatever the case may be, it is best that you don’t attempt to bring any bananas on board your next seafaring excursion, just to be safe.

Read more about the Banana superstitions

pico:
I just got open water certified and am not a strong swimmer especially using flutter kicks.
For some reason, when I do flutter kicks, my legs (calfs) are very easy to get cramps. I plan to buy a pair of fins to practice swimming more in the pool to prepare for my diving trip in Nov.
Can anyone recommend fins that are better for people who are easy to get leg cramps?[/QUOTE

Not quite the exact answer to your question but you might try Potassium tablets available at grocery stores, drug stores, health food stores, etc. Bananas do not supply enough potassium to have much of an effect. I have always had leg cramps and have tried exercises, stretching, and diet with no luck. I have had good success, however, with the tablets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom