Panic Overcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM <<<<<<<<<<< what she said!

I know this isn't easy at first but once you understand and rationalize that fear is nothing more than a distraction and you can overcome it. If you can think clearly at a time of S.H.T.F. (POOH HIT THE FAN) You'll see the process will be speed-ed up. If you can think of the problem and the solution to fix it then act valuable time isn't waisted on the "freak in out part".

I know your new but once you knew something was wrong, if you slowed down and thought then reacted. In your training you should of been taught to breath off a free flowing reg. even without a mouth piece. After you took control you'd make a controlled ascent. Without using an inflater and over speeding your way to the top. And maybe placing yourself in a position you might not like to be in.

Think about what happened and a better way of doing a self rescue. You learned a valuable lesson. Remember STOP THINK THEN ACT.

Congrats on your Cert.

In rereading this thread, I'm going to be a little obnoxious, and make another pitch for the longer hose primary/bungied backup configuration. If you have your secondary regulator right under your chin, I think you're much more likely to think of putting it in your mouth if something like this happens. I realize this was the last dive of an OW class, and therefore gear configuration was not at the option of the OP, but for anybody else reading this experience, it's something to think about.

One gripe I have about OW classes is that the instruction fails to emphasize your octo as your secondary air source, rather than your buddy's. It is also that, but even more important, you will have occasions to use it. The regulator sweep makes no sense when one can simply go for the octo and then relax and get the primary squared away.

Congratulations on your certification!

First, let me say how envious I am of the OP of having an experience that he survived and will provide more concrete knowledge and confidence for future dive. The closest I've come to this is having an OOA situation at the end of a pool session. Now I know what it feels like when it's coming on.

Quote: TheRedHead
One gripe I have about OW classes is that the instruction fails to emphasize your octo as your secondary air source, rather than your buddy's. It is also that, but even more important, you will have occasions to use it. The regulator sweep makes no sense when one can simply go for the octo and then relax and get the primary squared away.

I think this is an excellent point. As a newbie that rents BCDs, Regs, & Tanks there are enough variables. One of the things that I think is important is gear "awareness". That is, having a mental image of where things are so that you can get to them when needed. Certainly, having your own equipment helps in this regard but I think it also helps to try to set things up in a similar way even with different equipment.

On a recent dive my buddy and I had different types of BCDs. We normally place the hose of our Octos in an opening on the BCD shoulder strap. On mine this is where it was. On my buddy's BCD there was a plastic clip goodie that the DM placed the Octo hose. Now for me to use her Octo should not be a problem since I can see it if I need it. However, in the case described by the OP were would it be for her? OK, mostly in the same place and easier then sweeping to find the primary if lost, but not necessarily where it should be in her mental image.

I guess there is a question here. I would be interested to know how important experienced diver think the concept of gear "awareness" is. And specifically what (besides having your own equipment) you do to instill it. For example, when using different gear (renting?) do you make a mental image of your setup?

-Mark-

konasdad:
I guess there is a question here. I would be interested to know how important experienced diver think the concept of gear "awareness" is. And specifically what (besides having your own equipment) you do to instill it. For example, when using different gear (renting?) do you make a mental image of your setup?

That's a primary tenant of the DIR/HOG philosophy: you and your team have the same gear configuration. You know exactly what to do in an air share situation and where to find your secondary. It is bungeed under your chin. Very simple and elegant solution. If you are using different gear, you have to do the buddy check and familiarize yourselves with each other's equipment. Unfortunately, I seldom see it done IRL diving.

TheRedHead:
That's a primary tenant of the DIR/HOG philosophy: you and your team have the same gear configuration. You know exactly what to do in an air share situation and where to find your secondary. It is bungeed under your chin. Very simple and elegant solution. If you are using different gear, you have to do the buddy check and familiarize yourselves with each other's equipment. Unfortunately, I seldom see it done IRL diving.

With a recreational set-up the primary & octo are on the right side, the BC fill & depth/air gauge, computer & compass are on the left, unless something is wrist mounted. I know where everything is on my dive buddy's (the bride) set-up. I've never seen anybody configure their hoses differently. Granted, I dive with people who have all been trained by the same people, but, all the DM's I've dived with use that configuration. Seem kind of standardized. Although I've never seen one, the idea of the bungied octo does make sense in that it is easy to find.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice given. Have faith that it has all been taken to heart. The whole situation probably lasted 5-10 seconds, though it seemed like 5-10 minutes. Looking back, it was a great learning experience and having succumbed to and overcome the panic, I know I am better prepared should another underwater emergency happen. (Better prepared, not completely prepared :crafty: )

konasdad:

-Mark-

My instructor was very meticulous when it came to the placement of our gear, especially our octos.

It must have sunk in. Once I calmed down enough to think "I have an octo as a secondary air source", I didn't even have to look for it. I put my right hand on it without any thought that it wouldn't be there and shoved it in my mouth. Quick purge and I was breathing again.

Therefore, as an INexperienced diver, I would say that gear awareness is pretty damn important. Expecially when you NEED a piece of that gear right away.

~ Steve

Good advice all.

Laruuk, You are learning a lot from your experience. Congrats on getting certified.

bubba105:
With a recreational set-up the primary & octo are on the right side, the BC fill & depth/air gauge, computer & compass are on the left, unless something is wrist mounted. I know where everything is on my dive buddy's (the bride) set-up.

A lot of recreational divers use inline octos. It pays to familiarize yourself with your buddy's equipment, particularly insta-buddy, dive boat pick-ups. Do you know for sure that your buddy's octo even works? He's carrying your spare air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom